Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2017 most impressive/least impressive strains

Status
Not open for further replies.

burge

I know I have never grown tobacco but wouldn't it be logical to select plants based on soil conditions? One of the main reasons I asked was that some have said Turkish varieties are not the greatest when grown in other soils. Does it really matter?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It doesn't really matter. There will always be slight differences due to different soils, nutrients, rainfall amount etc but a Turkish grown in the U.S. will taste like a Turkish grown in Turkey.. assuming both were grown with similar cultural practices. Most of what people know about tobacco (particularly pipe tobacco) comes from the advertising campaigns of the tobacco companies such as..."only real Perique is grown in St James Parish Louisiana.. Turkish tobacco can only be grown in Turkey.. etc . After-all, why would you pay a premium for their "special" tobacco if indeed the Perique came from Maryland and the Turkish came from France?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I would say that it doesn't matter if it is tobacco or something else. Look at some Heb's tomato's or anything else we grow it all over the world but are they still the same?

rainmax

Founding Member
Maks,
Do you believe that Baldió Vera is a burley? It grows like a burley, cures like a burley, but doesn't taste to me like a burley. What are your thoughts?

Bob

I'm not an expert like you but from the list they say it is:

http://cetarsa.es/wp-content/upload...ariedades-comerciales-campaña-2013-Burley.pdf

Maybe it is oriental mixed with Burley?

When I get it from tronez from Spain it was delicious. How he cures it I don't know. Mine wasn't so good but I understand that we live under Alps so we have different weather.
I haven't grown lots of Burleys. I like milder tobacco in cigarettes and strong in cigars. If you know good Burley for me, let me know...

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I'm not an expert like you but from the list they say it is:http://cetarsa.es/wp-content/upload...ariedades-comerciales-campaña-2013-Burley.pdfMaybe it is oriental mixed with Burley?When I get it from tronez from Spain it was delicious. How he cures it I don't know. Mine wasn't so good but I understand that we live under Alps so we have different weather.I haven't grown lots of Burleys. I like milder tobacco in cigarettes and strong in cigars. If you know good Burley for me, let me know...
I have never growing Baldio Vera but what I have read about that variant it is for shore a Spanish Burley variant. It shall be a mild variant with high yield but also bad resistance against the most things. But even if it have bad resistance it seems to give some good tobacco after the season. I ain't shore if I will grow it this season or perhaps next season, but I think it is a interesting variant my guess is that NC:2002 or perhaps NC:2000 would be something for you Raimmax (perhaps I can find some seed of those variants).

rainmax

Founding Member
Thanks Hasse.
BTW I have so many strains and I'm afraid I will not grow them in near future. If somebody want to grow something new let me know PM and I'll send you the list what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.