Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

cigar mold for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras_oscar

Ultimately, if I continue in the hobby of rolling cigars, I will likely invest in a traditional cigar mold. Until that time comes, I plan on cutting a piece of PVC in half and using that to mold cigars. Is there anything I can fashion and fasten on the head end to encourage the cigar into a traditional parejo dome shape?

Gavroche

Il est nécessaire de mettre moins de tabac dans la tête, je fais le mien à main levée. Sans moule (moule)!
You can also shape with a paper sheet

Il faut mettre moins de tabac dans la tête ... je fais les miens à main levée. Sans moule!

Youn

Hi!
You can apply a bevel-cut to the head before wrapping, as you can see in that video at 1'45'' :
https://www.cigares.com/videos/fabrication-cigare.mp4

To make a mold with a sheet of paper allows you to adapt it to any size and it works quite well… but I imagine that a traditional mold will bring you closer to perfection, at the same time to require accuracy for the quantity of tobacco needed.

ras_oscar

Je n'avais pas pensé à cela. Toutes les vidéos que j'ai vues ont utilisé un moule en forme de dôme. Je vais essayer de le faire. (n'est pas google traduit excellent :) :)

Youn

Perfect traduction, I even thought 'ho! he speaks French!' before reading the end of the message! :D

The shape of the mold will refine it but you have to do the worst of the work. I think (because I have almost no experience but hours watching videos!) that the key is in the way to finish with the binder, making a temporary pig-tail, rounding the edges ; and then, doing the same thing with the wrapper.

ras_oscar

Always a chance google translate will royally eff things up, wanted to be sure to get my alibi in there :) Thanks for the video.

ras_oscar

I have seen 2 general styles of wood cigar molds. One is 2 pieces of wood with a half round slot cut in each side. The other has a bottom with a deeper slot and the top fits into the slots with a concave shape at the top of the groove. Aside for ease of manufacture, is the any reason to prefer one style over the other for a parejo cigar?

MarcL

Both types of molds have the need for there bunches to be rotated in the attempt to eliminate the seams created.

rsDI3yk.jpg

ras_oscar

Has anyone found a vendor for a paper punch in a custom shape? i'm thinking if I get REALLY good at this in a couple years, I might consider adhering a symbol to the wrapper similar to the "N" in la Gloria Cubana Serie N.

sls4ak

Always use a laser etcher to burn / shade your logo like my local trophy shop uses. LoL I am so far in the early learning stage...

Status
Not open for further replies.