Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I'm gearing up for kilning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDinosaurWesH

I'm gearing up for kilning, and I'm looking for some kind of a temperature / humidity gauge to put inside my box. Most conventional humidity / temperature devices that you would buy at the hardware store won't survive the high temperatures and high humidity. Or at least the one's that I tried last year didn't. I guess that I haven't been shopping at the right kind of places anyway.

Suggestions?

Also, on a related note, my "expert" said that 127 degrees F was the ideal temp. And 70 - 85% humidity. That's why I'm looking for a temp / humidity meter so that I can dial in my thermostat and water supply.

Wes H.

buck

Lots of people use the following, there are different input voltages so make sure you choose the correct one for your needs.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220V-Digital...919844?hash=item3ae8ec8ce4:g:r24AAOSw0xZZdaKq
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-WH70...226789?hash=item282dfcb065:g:q0sAAOSwhvFZGtYG

I bought a couple of PVC water resistant electrical boxes and out them in there.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5205-Buck-s-first-kiln/page3

More info on kilning here.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/35-Fermenting

mwaller

I use this because I didn't want to have my own messy wiring, I wanted it professionally done and aesthetic

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011...controller&dpPl=1&dpID=417y0W4HFmL&ref=plSrch

I have the same exact unit, but haven't tried it out yet. Seems very promising! The feedback I've read suggests that if you use a Crock-Pot for heat and humidity, you won't need to independently control humidity. In other words, a temperature controller and Crock-Pot will get you sufficiently close to the correct humidity, provided you keep the pot filled.

DistillingJim

OldDinosaurWesH

Okay, some good ideas here. Perhaps I need to clarify myself. I have a free standing machine (on wheels and everything) that already has all of it parts and pieces. It is called a proofer, and is used in commercial kitchens and bakeries to make bread rise. I am just looking for a free-standing device that I can put inside my machine to monitor temp and humidity, not control it. My machine already has a thermostat and attendant control mechanisms. Actually it works well as a kiln. I just want an independent device to monitor what my machine is already telling me. Preferably something that doesn't need electricity.

Thanks,

Wes H.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Any remote weather station that has the data you want would work too, similarly a stick on temp and hygro would allow you to check it as well then, you are allowed to open the door you know:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
At one point, I had an Accurite remote temp/humidity gadget inside my small kiln. It worked fine for maybe 1/2 year, then died from the heat/humidity. But for that kiln, it survived long enough for me to be satisfied that I didn't need to monitor the humidity at all.

Above 120ºF, tobacco will not mold, regardless of the humidity (assuming reasonable circulation and uniformity of temp). So I simply focused on having the tobacco stay in case (most of the time) and the water not drip from the kiln.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

Thanks for all your suggestions. Now I have to decide what I want to do.

Fortunately I have some time yet. That is why I ask the forum. Lots of good ideas.

My machine has a whole lot of circulation, and I can dial in the temp to a pretty consistent number. Keeping the humidity up can be a challenge, as it gasses the moisture off in just a few hours. I have to refill the water reservoir at least twice a day. Something I have to keep an eye on, or my tobacco gets pretty crispy. Crispy won't hurt anything, but then I have to spend time re-hydrating. Time that should be spent kilning. This year I'm going to see what I can do to get a better seal on my machine to better hold in the moisture.

When I get my machine up and running, I'll take some pictures & post them to my blog.

Wes H.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Can you disable/block the fan that vents the moisture?

Failing that another idea would be to seal your tobacco, in case, inside poly bags and just allow it too run dry.

OldDinosaurWesH

No, I can't turn the fan off. It is one integral unit. Not without risking traumatic damage (read very $$ to fix) to the mechanism. That's okay though, as I am going to make some "cultural" changes this year to improve my functionality. Actually, it is a good thing that I have to keep an eye on my machine.

A commercial machine like mine shouldn't be left alone. Fire hazard, etc. etc. It has broken down on me twice, the first time it cost about $200 for the parts, the last time it broke it had a faulty connection I could fix myself. Those restaurant equipment guys are just as (or maybe more) expensive than auto mechanics, and equally disreputable. I could insert a long story about disreputable in here, but I won't use up the valuable server space.

Oh, and the last time I checked, a new replacement machine would cost in excess of $3,000. That was a few years ago. Certainly more $$ today. As long as I can keep the old one going, I will keep using it. I have a selection of spare parts hanging around just in case, and when it finally dies I will probably follow the plans from FTT and build a new one.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Wes H.

P.S. I prefer to let my tobacco hang and cure naturally. I only kiln what I need for the short term. This is why I'm growing so much this year. I want to be able to age it for an extended period of time. About a year ago, I had the good fortune to acquire some three year old air cured cigar tobacco and it was pretty tasty. Kilning is only a fair substitute for time.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Kilning is more than a fair imo. I've got fancy tobaccos in excess of 10 years old that don't offer anything substantially better than kilned stuff. To each his own though I guess since taste is so subjective. If repairs get too steep though a dead fridge, crock pot and temp controller can have you up and running again for 50-100 bucks all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.