Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Progress reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
How is everyone doing? I put all my transplants in on memorial day and they are coming along, slowly but i am making progress. I went heaviest into duale, 142 and zimmer, i am also growing sumatra, ct shade (not in the shade), yellow orinoco and aztec.

I wasnt able to get all the different varieties into the ground, but those are the ones i want to try the most and the various burleys will wait till next year when i have more of a plot prepared. apparently you make the plot in the fall, amend it and then its better in the spring. oh well, i have about 50 plants going. my main concern is the duale, i cant wait to try this variety and i think for selling whole leaf as well as plants having a specialty type such as this ecuadorian from the 1930's will be prudent since it should finish earlier in northern climates and no one has tried it, but it appears pretty sweet from the data. next year will be some real cool ones called cordoba also from that same expedition from the 30's but these are specific wrapper, binder and filler varieties.

so how's the progress?

Ashauler

Founding Member
I'm about 2 weeks behind where I wanted to be......such is life. I have yet to put my plants in the field, though they are doing well in their cups. I have had them outside for about 2 weeks, morning sun then shade from about 11 am on. I've had minimal loss, though a few decided 102 F in June was too hot for them. :(

I'll have about 160 plants, spread across the following varieties:
Havana 142
CT Broadleaf
PA Broadleaf
Florida Sumatra
YTB
Ergo
TN90
Frogs Eye Orinoco
VA Brightleaf
Samsun 15
Bafra

I'm heavy on the cigar varieties but will have 8-10 plants each of the burley / flue cured / oriental varieties.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Not to give any of you guys plant envy but I planted mine 3 weeks early this year. The last week in April was warm, I checked the 10 day forecast and saw no threat of frost, so in they went. Well. a third of them. I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket.
Randy B

BigBonner

Founding Member
Its been a short day here I only planted a little over 20,000 burley plants today and around 100 Brusa . It got so hot we quit setting for today .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
lol you truly are the man :)

btw your burley is awesome, you are one of the reasons i didnt bother planting that variety in addition to my other reasons, i figured just buy yours off you, it's phenomenal. i use it for just about everything.

Hakamo0o

I am at the end of the cycle here, removed most of my crop and its all hanging :D a couple are still left but their time is soon. I am starting some Virginia Bright leaf; this would be the first time to see how it looks like :)

And YEAH I can plant ALL YEAR LONG :p

indianjoe

Founding Member
Plants in the ground about 2 weeks. Surviving this extended run of dry, hot weather.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like I'll have between 80 and 90 plants when they're all in. I had hoped to do some comparison planting of three Turkish varieties in different density layouts, but those varieties in particular have been poor performers as seedlings. Of 16 varieties, I've got 12 of them in the ground and doing well.

In the ground:
Hickory Pryor
Kelly Burley
Perique
Florida Sumatra
Comstock Spanish
Zimmer Spanish
Connecticut Broadleaf
Pennsylvania Red
Little Dutch
Shirazi
Bafra
Samsun

Still in a 72-cell tray:
Bahía (from FmGrowIt; seeded mid-April)
Izmir Ozbas (from GRIN)
Smyrna #9 (from GRIN)
Xanthi Yaka (from GRIN)

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get seed from all 16 of them, barring a disaster, but I was hoping for a larger number of those GRIN-sourced plants to compensate for their small leaf size. Of the 4 left to transplant, the Bahía will likely go in tomorrow or the next day.

For all of them, I've been setting them out beneath a cover of Agribon-AG15, laid directly on the plants, and anchored with small stones. So far, not even a hint of a wilt or even a droop; no bugs, no bird punctures, and the soil is not drying out so fast in our 90ºF weather. None have needed replanting. As the plants increase in size, they easily lift the Agribon. It will come off when the plants are well-established and hearty. At some point later in the season, I'll write up my impressions of the advantages and disadvantages of using the barrier fabric. (It sure looks crappy lying on the ground.) Since I use no chemical insecticides, I'm trusting that the barrier will at least postpone the onslaught of hornworms, maybe even prevent the first wave entirely.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
whats so bad about insectides? im usin sevin for veggies and it says it clears in 2 weeks. no bugs since using it, previuosly they were practically gone overnight

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i'll be harvesting all my turkish,,, shariza this weekend,,,

i got a early start,,,

my big-gem will be harvested in the following weeks,,,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Not to give any of you guys plant envy but I planted mine 3 weeks early this year. The last week in April was warm, I checked the 10 day forecast and saw no threat of frost, so in they went. Well. a third of them. I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket.
Randy B

Well, A lesson learned. Don't plant your tobacco too early. I planted mine earlier than normal which means I also harvested it early. The problem is it was hanging in the barn during the hottest most humid part of the summer. I got a fair amount of mold this year ( maybe 10% or so)... and I never get mold ( except last year with Yellow Orinoco). The tobacco I just recently harvested though is looking real good!

Status
Not open for further replies.