Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Choosing a chaveta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras_oscar

If I go to store ->Cigar Tobacco->chavetas I am presented with a selection of 5 chavetas. 3 are described as " American style" and are blue in color (#1, #2, #3b). The other 2 are natural or stainless steel in color (#4B and #5). The difference in price is not significantHow would one go about selecting the correct knife? Here are the similarities and differences as I can deduce from reading the descriptions:#1 American style, blue, shape 1 (rounded ends) .065 spring steel R45#2 American style, blue, shape 1 (rounded ends) .035 spring steel R45#3B American style, blue, shape 2, (sharp ends) .035 spring steel R45#4B Stainless steel color, shape 2, (sharp ends) .035 stainless steel R45#5 Stainless steel color shape 1 (rounded ends) .035 stainless steel R451. Am I correct that the knives that the spring steel knives are subject to rusting and therefore have a painted finish applied?2. Am I correct in assuming that .035 is adequate for all rolling situations, since 4 of the 5 are fabricated from that thickness. Under what circumstances would a roller select the thicker metal?It seems to me that the sharp cornered tool would be better for fine cutting work like cutting flags and trimming heads. Under what circumstances would the rounded end tool perform better?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The thicker steel gives a better "feel" to the knife. The thinner blade is best for continual use without fatigue.

The spring steel is not painted, the bluing comes from tempering and yes, it is prone to light surface rust. A little wipe with steel wool removes the rust easily.

The style that suits you best is strictly a matter of personal preference.

ras_oscar

mine was delivered yesterday from WLO. Not quite as sharp as I was hoping. I Guess its hard to ship sharp implements

Gavroche

It is cutting always enough for the tobacco one of my fingers remembers it!

c'est toujours assez tranchant pour le tabac ... un de mes doigts s'en souvient ...!

webmost

Consider one of these inexpensive Olfa rotary cutters. Available in various diameters, w/ various handles, from craft stores or on line.

olfa.jpg

I have the 28mm version. Very handy to cut a paisley shaped flag, for instance, or the S shaped wrapper required to wrap a perfecto.

Status
Not open for further replies.