Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

HURRICANE '' IRMA ''. has me worried,

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking SOME of it was media hype, not all.

Florida is a mess from top to bottom, and it's not over yet. If the storm had not weakened a bit while crunching over the northern coast of Cuba, the "media hype" would have been understatement. Miami, which was not even in the direct path, got many feet of water in the downtown streets, and three of the massive "CAT 5 rated" construction crane boom arms atop high-rise constructions broke off.

Millions of homes and businesses are without power. Likely many thousands of families lost their homes. And it's not done yet.

The media has nothing for which to apologize.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Phil Klotzbach said:
  • Irma is the first storm in recorded history that has maintained top winds of 185 miles per hour for 37 straight hours.
  • Irma is the strongest storm on record to exist in the Atlantic, outside of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.
  • Irma is tied with the 1932 Cuba hurricane for the longest time spent as a Category 5 hurricane.
  • Irma has the lowest minimum pressure in its lifetime of an Atlantic hurricane on record, outside of the western Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.
  • It’s the first time in recorded history that there were two hurricanes with winds of at least 150 miles per hour in the Atlantic at the same time.
  • Irma beat Hurricane Ike for having the most hurricane days.
  • Irma generated more Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) than the first eight named storms of the current Atlantic hurricane season combined.
  • Irma has broken the record for the most ACE generated in a 24-hour period.
  • Irma is the strongest hurricane the Leeward Islands have ever seen.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hurricane-irma-records-broken_us_59b48a93e4b0dfaafcf84e6a
It seems extraordinary to me.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Irma20170911_1100EDT_nowTS_cone.JPG

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
wow... what a night that was.... it was really bad... really windy at my house, and i mean REALLY WINDY.... 70 m.p.h. + gusts

we didnt have no damage... no trees down in my general area.... the wind was blowing in from the east. and rocking my trailer. you could hear the roof as the gusts hit the trailer . as a massive wind gust hit the house, and my 60' antenna tower hitting the tounge of my trailer, made a awful noise each time it banged it, but it's mounted about 4 '' from the tounge but high up. it was rocking also, the pine trees i could see in the far corner of the property were swaying so bad. i expected a snap at any time, our power held to 5 a.m. which really surprised me a LOT, my 60' sycamore tree was once again doing a hula dance .. the top going one way. while the bottom twisted a different way.....but she held firm.

.............................................................................................

and now for my '' oh-shit'' moment,,,,>>>> about 2 a.m. i was outside with my spotlight looking at 2 pine trees during a massive wind gust... and i was walking away from them to go look in the backyard.. when i heard a loud '' THUMP'' buddy i took off running like a racehorse.. i thought one of those pines i had just left was coming out of the ground,and at the time i was under the sycamore tree. headed to my gate. so i couldnt see nothing. because the sycamore limbs are low hanging and full of leaves,,, so run run run.. i did,,,i hit that gate wide open.. lifting the latch as i ran thru it, ran another 100' before i stopped, to turn around to NOTHING,

i have a 14' livestock gate that isnt hooked to hinges. that i use to close the front yard up with.... well it was that heavy gate being blowed over 10' from me. that made that loud '' thump'' that got me to moving, i really thought i was trying to outrun a falling tree,

no damage , just a bunch of leaves. and some small limbs scattered all over the property.

i'll give props to our local news team.... they really kicked it in high gear...they are in jacksonville 60 miles east of me.... and when they would report the potential of a high gust.. a couple of minutes later that gust would hit me,

they slept at the station and reported in shifts. and they '' read '' that doppler radar like no-ones business, they have a staff of 6 meteoroligists, and if i could i'd like to thank each one of them personally for the professionalism they bring to the table,

when the power went off. it was them i missed... after that i trully was on my own, i have some 5' cannalillies planted at my front window, i used them as my wind measuring,,, when they were weaving from the wind. i knew 60' up it was really blowing, im very surprised we didnt have no tree damage.... those pine trees were bending to the breaking point... but stayed togehter.

..............................................................................................................................................................................

i didnt get to. honour those that have fallen due to our 9/11 tragedy.....because i had my own issues going on. and for that i am trully regrettable,

and my greenhouse held firm... the plastic thats on it is all wrinkled up... but the thing didnt go airbourne. but i made it hoping it could take the wind... AND TAKE IT,,,,IT DID.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
yeah it was a wild ride indeed.....so far i havent heard no bad reports from my county.... and a lot of us rode it out,

my few bacca plants that i was seeding out are gone.. so im back to buying seed.. i hope i dont get burned on bad seed like i did this year,,, when i make my order,

Charly

I am coming a little late to get news from you folks who live near where Irma went.
Is everyone safe ?
As I understand, Chicken didn't get too much damage, that's good news ! I am glad you were not hurt too badly by this natural monster !

Status
Not open for further replies.