Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

times of growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

Hello,

When I read the indications of NTW Skychaser, there are indicated times of growth. 55 days, 70 days etc....

What does it mean? None of my plants respects these times of growth. It would be rather 100 days, 120 days and maybe more...

Bonjour,

Quand je lis les indications de NTW Skychaser, il y a des temps de croissance indiqués. 55 jours, 70 jours etc...

Qu'est-ce que cela veut dire ? aucun de mes plants ne respecte ces temps de croissance. ce serait plutôt 100 jours, 120 jours et peut-être plus...

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Grow times are relative and take conditions such as heat, sun, and moisture into account. They are still useful even in a nonstandard growing region as a comparison number, ie a 65 day plant should take longer to finish than a 55 day.

It's also not a harvest number, more a topping number

Gavroche

Thank you SA your message is full of common sense, I worry as all the beginners a lot... The men(people) of experience(experiment) reassure the little newbies.

Merci SA... votre message est plein de bon sens, je m’inquiète beaucoup comme tous les débutants...Les hommes d'expérience rassurent les petits nouveaux.

ChinaVoodoo

Growing Degree Days (GDD) would be more universally useful. It would be a lot of work to catalogue the number of GDDs, but for each tobacco you could come up with GDD data for when suckering starts, when flowering starts, when mature, when ripe, or even when to spray for certain pests because even pests tend to be predictable via GDD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growing_degree-day

Alpine

Let's keep it simple... days to maturity, as stated in Skychaser's site, are the days needed from transplant (day 1) to have the 50% of the plants in bloom, with average weather and location conditions (e.g. mine are NOT average conditions).
These are the days to have a mature plant, not ripe leaves. Depending on the specific strain (and many other environmental factors of course) some leaves may show signs of ripeness before flowering occurs, or shortly after blooming, or weeks after flowering and subsequent topping.
In my speculations before choosing a variety or leave it alone, I add two to three weeks to Sky's figures, and usually I end up with ripe enough leaves before first frost hits the Alps.

pier

Youn

I think you and I have quite different climates but, to give an idea, here in Auvergne, I get close to the forecasts, more or less.
Considering that I planted with about 15 days delay (the seedlings already had 20cm leaves), I topped the Vuelta Abajo between 40 and 45 days (for 50 estimated); the Ohio Dutch at 45 days (for 50/55 estimated); the Madole at 45 days (for 55/60 estimated) and the Goose Creek at 50 days and more (for 65 estimated).
There were notable differences between plants of the same variety, up to 15 days difference.
So, on average, not more than 5 days later than the predictions.

/ Je pense que toi et moi nous avons des climats assez différents mais pour donner une idée, ici en Auvergne, je m'approche plus ou moins des estimations.
En tenant compte du fait que j'ai planté avec environ 15 jours de retard (les plantules avaient déjà des feuilles de 20cm), j'ai écimé les Vuelta Abajo entre 40 et 45 jours (pour 50 estimé) ; les Ohio Dutch à 45 jours (pour 50/55 estimé) ; les Madole à 45 jours (pour 55/60 estimé) et les Goose Creek à 50 jours et plus (pour 65 estimé).
Il y a eu des différences notables entre les plants d'une même variété, jusqu'à 15 jours de différence.
Donc, en moyenne, pas plus de 5 jours de retard par rapport aux estimations.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm at 100 days, and I'm just on the verge of every plant being mature. I don't see utility in those estimates beyond giving me a relative indication of which tobaccos take longer than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.