Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Common wisdom regarding cigar taste and strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras_oscar

Common wisdom in the commercial cigar world says that cigars with darker wrappers have a richer taste and more vitamin N than cigars with a light ( Connecticut) wrapper. Some wags have stated the wrapper contributes the most to the taste. Is there any truth to this "wisdom" or is it like a Chinese restaurant putting the littler hot pepper symbol next to the spicy dishes, a way for manufacturers to allude to what's inside?1. Does the wrapper leaf contribute more to flavor/aroma than the bunch leaves? Or it merely an outer dressing?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There is no "common wisdom" on this question, since many of the paid-by-the-word experts disagree.

The wrapper is the only part of the cigar that actually touches your lips and tongue. Some wrapper varieties have very little taste (e.g. Sumatra, Besuki), while others have intense tastes (e.g. CT Shade, CT Broadleaf, Habano, Corojo, Criollo). Whether you taste mostly the wrapper or mostly the filler/binder depends on which has the dominant taste while the cigar is lit. Nicotine can come from the wrapper, by direct contact with a wet mouth, but most of the nicotine from a cigar is contained in the smoke. The smoke is a mixture of smoke from all the cigar's constituents.

I've smoked a blond-wrapped Cuban cigar that knocked me on my butt. I've smoked black, oscuro wrapped cigars that were subtle, sweet and mild.

As a home-roller of cigars, you will have the delightful opportunity to explore all the nuances of different combinations of wrapper, filler, binder. [With your "filler" leaf shipment, don't forget to go through it and separate out the nice, intact leaves to use as binders and wrappers. It multiplies your options.] After a year or so of blending and rolling your own, you will be in a position to simply smile when you read the opinions of the "experts".

Bob

Smokin Harley

Common wisdom in the commercial cigar world says that cigars with darker wrappers have a richer taste and more vitamin N than cigars with a light ( Connecticut) wrapper. Some wags have stated the wrapper contributes the most to the taste. Is there any truth to this "wisdom" or is it like a Chinese restaurant putting the littler hot pepper symbol next to the spicy dishes, a way for manufacturers to allude to what's inside?1. Does the wrapper leaf contribute more to flavor/aroma than the bunch leaves? Or it merely an outer dressing?

to quote a cuban roller ..."the wrapper ....is just a dress on a beautiful woman."

it lends very little to the cigar . Does it lend to the cold draw taste, yes of course. but thats not why we buy cigars is it?
Having said that , I have swapped wrappers (CT Shade, Ecuador Maduro, and Corojo) with the same exact fillers and gotten a subtle difference in taste but nothing so noticeable that I could say 100% it was the wrapper . for the most part , it's for presentation and perception.

Gavroche

And nevertheless, we feel(smell) well the taste of the paper in a cigarette...

Et pourtant, on sent bien le goût du papier dans une cigarette...

Status
Not open for further replies.