Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco getting over ripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Wind has torn up some tobacco but my biggest problem is that some tobacco is over ripe . Leaves are showing browning , holes and splits from age . I just didn't have time to harvest like I should have . I did work my rear end off daylight to after dark trying to get my tobacco in my barns . I still have alot more varieties to put in my barns but I am wondering are these worth harvesting or should I just bushog them down , forget about them and call it a loss .
No help around is killing me .
Would these be worth saving to sell as whole leaf . I just don't want to waste my time if these are not worth the trouble .

These two picture is Coroja May only be good for filler .
Croillo Looks the same condition as the Coroja
OOOPisX.jpg

QfK0lTb.jpg

This is CT Shade and is near the top of the plant 4th priming ,Bottom leaves that I primed are fairly good. I have alot of leaves up head high on up like this one and most are around 12 to 14 inches long .
wlLBC2u.jpg

Black Mammouth . These are good leaves and of a dark air variety I like these so far . I will know more after they cure out .I had to post something that looked good
3yMOz1y.jpg

BrUm3Wy.jpg

Last edited:

DistillingJim

I'm sure someone would buy it as seconds if the price was right. I guess the question is if that price is commercially worthwhile for you.

BigBonner

Founding Member
There would probably be around 350+ pounds of Coroja and Criollo after curing .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I think it's worthwhile. Might even go for the smokeless market as it should be vitamin n fortified. Advertise it as strong filler/ smokeless use. How long was it allowed to mature after topping? I've read some articles where they tested leaf from each position at each week and you can clearly see it going up up up as the leaf ripens.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I think it's worthwhile. Might even go for the smokeless market as it should be vitamin n fortified. Advertise it as strong filler/ smokeless use. How long was it allowed to mature after topping? I've read some articles where they tested leaf from each position at each week and you can clearly see it going up up up as the leaf ripens.

Coroja has been topped for 4 weeks now . It doesn't matter how I plant my crop , it seems like they all want to mature and be ready to harvest at the same time .

I am set up for spearing with 60,000 tobacco sticks , Knives for cutting and barn room . It would take me about 20 seconds to cut and spear 6 stalks if they would have speared like normal .
Cutting Broadleaf , Penn Red , Pa Wrapper and a few others takes more time as I have to cut , lay down to wilt or spear easy to keep from breaking leaves .

wooda2008

350# x $18/lb = $6300 gross.
I'd pay $18/lb for filler or smokeless.
Bet it would make a hell of a rope too.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have cured many a leaf that looked just like those in the photos. They come out dark and rich. My guess is that it will make superb ligero filler. The notion of priming cigar leaf before it ripens is certainly applicable to most wrapper, but for filler, the riper it gets, the darker and fuller the flavor and intensity. I would say that you have "firsts" rather than "seconds".

Driving an angled nail into the base of each stalk as a hanger requires very little additional time. Using sticks, you can hook the nail over, while rapidly using a length of string to do a zig-zag on either side of the stick to keep them from easily being bumped off the stick. (This is a method that I read about from the 1800s, and used commercially.)

Save that stuff! It will make legendary filler.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'm one that was pm'ing you asking for you to save some for late harvest, I'm certainly interested in purchasing some of the ripe filler. At my house I prime the bottom third and let the rest go for as long as possible before stalk harvesting the top just to try to get nice ripe filler and smokeless.

I'll be asking for this crop by name, please don't forget where you put it:)

Leftynick

If I live somewhere closer where postage will not be a problem, I would definitely buy that stuff.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
all bacca is salvagable.... dont bush-hog that stuff..

BigBonner

Founding Member
Here is the story .
I planted Vuelta Abajo this spring . Vuelta and my Criollo bloomed out way early . The vuelta bloomed premature at a little over 12 inches tall . I believe that the premature bloom was from plants that were old and should have been planted a week or two earlier .
Bottom picture is a rough cigar that I made while I was stringing Coroja leaves .I didn't have any glue or a knife to use , just rip and roll . I wanted to know what Nostrano tasted like . I lit it up and it is a cigar . Now it makes me wonder what the upper leaves will taste and smell like .

A few things happened .
1 , Premature bloom .
2. We left them alone writing them off as trash
3 . At topping time we noticed new growth . This time all Vuelta plants had forked at the ground and was over waist high . Looking good with no old bloom head from the first bloom.(2nd picture )
4 . We topped them .
5. We suckered the plants by hand .
6. Now plants leaves look fair and similar to my Coroja . I hope the Vuelta is worth stringing .
Vuelta Abajo
v9rAaMy.jpg

Forked
D2DWMYS.jpg

Vuelta Abajo leaves
wiAXKFq.jpg

Shalow root system from a heavy rain in early spring .
FJAvC4D.jpg

Nostrano Del Brenta Made from a couple of Very bottom leaves . Dried on the stalk in the field .
rhcQ5UP.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
How did that nostrano taste? I've been dying to find out. I just harvested mine on Thursday and it was going so slow I didn't have any field cured lugs to try

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That's good news, my family is all about smooth and mild, it should be a hit.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Like Bob said , " fairly Mild " but was very good . Made this one from two bottom leaves that broke off the bottom and was dead and dry with a small stem that was half green .

Is the Vuelta worth saving ? Hope so , I will be stringing up a big bunch in the morning .
Top leaves are more ripe than the lower leaves are .
I start priming leaf at 6Pm until it get dark . First thing next morning I string them . After I have no more leaves to string , I go to whole stalk cutting tobacco that I can spear . Today whole stalk was PA Wrapper and Silver river .

My PA Wrapper and my Penn Red look exactly the same . I am beginning to think they are the one and same .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Save the Vuelta Abajo.

PA Wrapper is a broadleaf variety (not sure which). The PA Red should have narrower leaves. They definitely taste different.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
Yes. Save the Vuelta Abajo.

PA Wrapper is a broadleaf variety (not sure which). The PA Red should have narrower leaves. They definitely taste different.

Bob

I grew my Penn Red and my PA Wrapper side by side and if it was not for my paper map I would not know which rows was which . Both look alike .

These may have to be tossed Corojo 99
Mine has lost that glossy sheen .
WYEa7hk.jpg

Gavroche

My Gold leaf Orinoco and my goose creek red are alike so a lot the plan and sticks in the ground help a lot.

Of Burley behind you?

mes Gold leaf Orinoco et mon goose creek red se ressemblent aussi beaucoup... le plan et des bâtons dans le sol aident beaucoup.

Du Burley derrière vous ?

BigBonner

Founding Member
Behind my son is silver river . To the right in the picture is several varieties One that you can see is Penn Red .

I plant two rows at a time and when I run out of a variety I lave a four open area between the next variety that I plant . I mark each variety on my drawn out paper map . most varieties I know just by looking at the plants , but I still keep a map of what is where .

Status
Not open for further replies.