Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nasal Snuff Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

Finished with this season growing, I tried to make flake from my harvest. I used almost all my harvest just to make one flake, because my leaves are very small. I get many midrib and smaller leaves that I feel a waste to throw away. So I decided to make a nasal snuff out of it. I just got a very nice baker grade vanilla essence that I planned to use as flavoring.

I need some help deciding my recipe for nasal snuff. I never tried nasal snuff before so I don't know what to expect. I planned to use Calcium Carbonate to help delivering nicotine as I read midrib has less nicotine than the lamina. Calcium Carbonate is what used traditionally here for Betel Chewing, as it help to release the alkaloid contained in betel nut. It also used for mixing with tobacco to be used as chewing tobacco. I also read that 1 grams of sodium carbonate to 100 grams tobacco is what advised for nasal snuff, but is it the same for calcium carbonate? And I think I need some salt for flavoring. Would these recipe work?

50 grams tobacco
0.5 grams calcium carbonate
Pinch of salt
A few drop of vanilla essence

Should I toast the tobacco? Or should I cook them? Should I add some sugar of any kind? Sorry for posting too many question.

Leftynick

Okay, because of no reply, I just thought I'd do it and post the result here. No pictures, but I will try to be as detailed as possible. Inspired by other smokeless tobacco process here, but I simplified the process.

First, I take out all of the mid rib and small leaves that I collected. I get around 50 grams of this stuff. Most of the tobacco are dry and brittle and some are in low case. I mix half teaspoon of calcium carbonate with 5 tablespoon of boiled water (not very scientifically accurate measurement) and a pinch of coarse salt and shake them. Then I mist the tobacco thoroughly, using all of the concoction. The tobacco immediately smell unappetizing to me. I think it reeks of ammonia because of the reaction from calcium carbonate. Then I leave them for about 10 minutes while heating my stove top oven. I dry the tobacco in my oven using low heat for 1 hour. The smell changes through the drying time from ammonia rich smell, to tobacco smell and lastly a slightly toasted tobacco. After that, I took out the tobacco from my oven, let it air out for another 10 minutes for it to dry more. I was taken quite a shock when I noticed that some of the mid rib puffed up like puffed rice. One of the rib get puffed really big that it looked like I am toasting some root plant. It is bone dry now and very brittle, so I break them a bit before putting it in my coffee grinder attachment for my blender. I then pulse them until I see them turn into tobacco flour. I sieve them and put the unbroken pieces back into the coffee grinder, add some more tobacco and pulse again. After 6-7 times, I get a coarse tobacco flour, as I don't have any fine sieve so I settled with coarse. The smell is wonderful at this time and I decided to try a pinch. It doesn't seem to sting and give me a good nicotine kick, as if I just smoked a cigarette. It is quite good now, but my plan is to make a vanilla flavored snuff. So I drop 6 drops of baker grade vanilla essence to the tobacco flour, mixing it a bit using spoon. Then I transfer all of the snuff into an airtight container and planned to age them at least a week for the vanilla flavor to be absorbed by the flour. However, this morning I decided to take a pinch. Still quite good, give me a mild sting and I sneeze a bit, but the vanilla flavor is still not blending well with the tobacco. Will try some more later and decide whether to add some more vanilla or not.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Just play with it, snuff is easy. Copying a recipe is hard. But if you're just out to make good snuff it's easy.

I left a few recipes in the smokeless section, just mixes I tried and thought was good.

The main thing I think is getting the sieve right, I hate coarse.

I haven't snuffed in a while though, everything is snus these days if it's not burning. Try adding things like licorice root, and be careful with the lye, the nose can't neutralize it quite like saliva.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ahhhh dammit you got me thinking of snuff and now I got a nose full of dholakia white and carharts choice right before bed... Le sigh

Leftynick

Just play with it, snuff is easy. Copying a recipe is hard. But if you're just out to make good snuff it's easy.

I left a few recipes in the smokeless section, just mixes I tried and thought was good.

The main thing I think is getting the sieve right, I hate coarse.

I haven't snuffed in a while though, everything is snus these days if it's not burning. Try adding things like licorice root, and be careful with the lye, the nose can't neutralize it quite like saliva.

This is my first time I use snuff. I am thinking of buying some for reference but there are no seller in my country, and importing online seems a lot of cost for 5 gram of tobacco including postage. So I just go with making it myself.

I am thinking of smokeless because of my wife restrict the usage of smoking tobacco in my home after our newborn. But I dislike putting tobacco in my mouth and have to spit every time. So the idea of snuff is good for me.

Like you say, it is easy. Easiest recipe would be grinding bone dry tobacco but I want it to be perfect in terms of nicotine hit and flavor.

As this is my first time I wouldn't know about coarse or fine is better but I will try making it finer after this.

Ahhhh dammit you got me thinking of snuff and now I got a nose full of dholakia white and carharts choice right before bed... Le sigh

I've only used two pinch and craving for more. Just cant wait for it to finish so I can start using it.

DistillingJim

I've messed with it a little the last few weeks. Dried and ground cigar scraps were quite a nice natural snuff. Also nice was one using rosewater (I think I used Maryland) which I think was my favourite thus far.

Coffee and absinthe both failed. Coffee just tasted/smelt like stale coffee and the absinthe burned horribly. I might try a coffee one again, just leaving the flour with a couple of whole or cracked beans rather than with liquid.

I dont add any salt or carbonate to mine though, I had figured that was primarily for oral?

Leftynick

I dont add any salt or carbonate to mine though, I had figured that was primarily for oral?

Carbonate is a form of alkaline agent that help freebasing the nicotine. My snuff contain primarily midrib so the nicotine is quite low, so I need something to boost the nicotine amount that can be absorbed.

I don't know about salt but many of the recipe I found mention salt, so I just go along with it. There are some mention about salinity of the snuff and stuff but I don't really understand it. Hahaha.

I have found some snuff from Thailand "Ya Nut" that used Red Lime as carbonate source. Red Lime is just Calcium Carbonate that being mixed with turmeric, so I figured I do something right.

How about grinding the coffee bean with the tobacco sound like? Some of herbal snuff used Guarana as replacement for tobacco, and from what I understand, Guarana have more caffein than coffee.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Just like DistillingJim say to add salt and/or carbonate in nasal-snuff is a bad idea and will not make much difference with the nicotine. It will not make the level of nicotine higher just help some of the nicotine to leave the tobacco so if I was you I should skip it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
snuffhouse.com/discussion/6032/snuff-making-101

It's a great basic recipe and discussion. I bought many types over the time I snuffed and none were better than home made, the sieves can be purchased online 400 is coarse 600 would be fine. Even a wire splatter guard is useful in getting rid of larger shrapnel though.

Experiment in small batches though and take notes.

About spitting though, snus is spitless and disappears in the upper lip. We have many recipes in the snus section and tons of people here make it and can answer questions you might have if you choose to try it out.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on either though.

Leftynick

Just like DistillingJim say to add salt and/or carbonate in nasal-snuff is a bad idea and will not make much difference with the nicotine. It will not make the level of nicotine higher just help some of the nicotine to leave the tobacco so if I was you I should skip it.

I just follow some recipe on the internet and improvised a bit. I forgot to make some without salt and carbonate as control group to decide whichever is the best, with or without. Guess just have to wait till I have some enough leftover to try again.

I just don't want to waste any tobacco, midrib or small. And I dont have enough homegrown to dedicate for snuff, as I like smoking tobacco better. Haha. It seems like worth it to plant just for snuff, this stuff is very addicting. Maybe I can try making some with traditional tobacco that I have been smoking everyday. My wife is not at home currently so I can do many tobacco related project.

snuffhouse.com/discussion/6032/snuff-making-101

It's a great basic recipe and discussion. I bought many types over the time I snuffed and none were better than home made, the sieves can be purchased online 400 is coarse 600 would be fine. Even a wire splatter guard is useful in getting rid of larger shrapnel though.

Experiment in small batches though and take notes.

About spitting though, snus is spitless and disappears in the upper lip. We have many recipes in the snus section and tons of people here make it and can answer questions you might have if you choose to try it out.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on either though.

Nice site. Thank you. I will look into using snus and maybe try some recipe that shared here. The cooking might be a problem as i used stove top oven without termometer.

I read that coarser is better for newbies, finer and drier is for seasoned snuffer. Definitely a room to explore there.

I tried another pinch just now. It smell wonderful. Remind me of butterscotch cookies. I think in one week, this stuff would be great.

wooda2008

I started with fine, very dry homemade snuff. You learn very quickly how to take a proper snuff bump. I became proficient within a week.
The first commercial snuff I bought was Perfecto from the late Chef Daniel. It was a very fine snuff made from cigar leaf and burned like hell when I sniffed wrong and got some down the back of my throat.

Coarse snuffs are nice because I can take a fingertip and place it right into my nostril, no sniffing required. A quick pinch to the nose to settle it in place and it's good to go. I notice that it's a more controlled, slow release of nicotine.

I'm a little nervous about using calcium carbonate or other alkali to freebase more nicotine, because I want to maintain a neutral pH.
If I need more nicotine, I blow my nose and take another bump. But I don't smoke cigs, so it doesn't take much to satisfy me.
A little salt makes a big difference in nose comfort.

DistillingJim

How about grinding the coffee bean with the tobacco sound like?

Could work but I'm not sure I want ground coffee up my nose haha. Ultimately my thinking is that tobacco takes on aromas quite well so I'd rather just let it absorb that from the beans then discard the beans.

If you're concerned about maximising nic strength, you could also play with different varietals. Get some rustica or strong Burley and could mix it with you midrib to bring up the averge nbv (nic by volume).

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I think that thing about newbie and veteran snuffers is just a way to yank their own chains. Some prefer coarse forever, some fine. I hate coarse and always have. The finer the grind the better the dispersion and lighter you sniff.

Snuffing last night made me sleep with my mouth open, I hate that. As a cigarette smoker you might appreciate snuff more though, as it has a nearly identical method and time of delivery as smoking. People report it as being the best thing to transition off smoking from, and aside from clogging your nose occasionally it's probably the single safest way of enjoying tobacco.

If smokeless was your thing snus is the easiest and safest form to transition to but I've heard from many smokers they just can't get into it as it's so different from how they are used to taking tobacco and snuff fixes them better.

I've made some threads here with recipes and then stopped because as long as you get your grind right it doesn't seem to matter how you make snuff, alkaline or not. I always add salt, it does make things better for me, 100%. It's just a little bit to make it saline and improves scent/flavor. If you use alkaline make sure it has a chance to go into solution and interact with the snuff so you don't burn yourself, always err on the side of adding too little. It will give you a quicker hit as the nicotine is more freebased but I think nicotine is more enjoyable in when it's slow acting and weaker but that's just personal preference, try both ways.

Post your experiments and we can learn along with you. We don't have enough people discussing snuff which should change as it's one of the oldest and one of the nicest ways to enjoy tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.