Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

High Plains

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
My wife is regional Agriculture support for 60 counties keeping their computors updated. We have 6 of those in Texas. She swears by the guys in the field. Talk to one of them. (Or swears at em )

ChinaVoodoo

So my next question is about wind, all growing season the forecast is 10-20 S. S.W. pretty typical to have periods of 15-30 with gusts to 45, Here the planting season is late and short, mostly a 3 week window, the last two of may and first of june as the ground temps are just too cool earlier. this almost always is followed by a hot blow that can produce some sand burn on crops like cotton. I am going to Imagine I could start transplants a little earlier and I have a spot In mind that is well away from cultivation surrounded by pasture so the tender starters wouldn't get sandblasted. but there is wind. I noted in a post I read here someone mentioned some wind damage so just how delicate is tobacco where wind is a concern?

I was reading old information on the development of a Canadian variety of tobacco called Windel. It was intended to be grown in Nova Scotia where there is lots of wind. Although nobody has the seed, the characteristics of the tobacco can be of use. It was only a few inches shorter than the standard VA115 that was grown in Canada at the time, but the leaves were significantly more narrow. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...ggkMAA&usg=AFQjCNE7TpUBFsznGL3bm7CJh_zaT0IL8g

It's not on that pdf, but I read elsewhere that it was also planted with relatively closer spacing. Presumably, the closer spacing helps.

Cassidy

That's an interesting find there Voodoo, those folks put a bit of effort over some years to grow some tobacco in a place they coulda easily grown somethin more indigenous and sold to buy or swapped for tobacco.

Pier was kind enough to link the northwoods seeds site and after going over a fraction of the varieties descriptions I will give some thought to planting some Mount Pima in my test plot, be nice to see if others have grown this and what they say about it. I will try a couple few varieties I imagine, and will chose somethin that air cures and is not so harsh I will not want to use it myself. I imagine even planting somethin like a couple rows of corn for a lil wind break could work.

Interestingly enough I just received my first whole leaf, 6 types and was quite surprised to find the dark air and 609 not all that bad only shredded. prolly wouldnt go smoking either straight anytime soon but I had imagined far worse just from reading around. As it is I have shredded up all 6 types and spritzed em so it will be a spell before I decide what I like still.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I grew Mt. Pima a number of years ago. Its appearance resembles Little Dutch, but its taste is not nearly as smooth or flavorful. I found Mt. Pima to have a potent, aggressive, primitive character, even after kilning and aging, and have chosen not to grow it again. Little Dutch is a true gem, and I have grown it most years.

Bob

Gavroche

Little Dutch is a true gem, and I have grown it most years.

Bob

He is small." He reaches approximately 3 po of height and has narrow sheets of more than 30" (NTW)
How much dry weight? 1.5 oz?

Il est petit... [FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Il atteint environ 3 po de hauteur et a des feuilles étroites de plus de 30 "
[/FONT]
Combien de poids à sec ? 1.5 oz ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although Little Dutch is short, the stem is quite thick, and the long leaves are closely spaced on the stem. My best production of Little Dutch yielded about 1/4 pound (~114 grams) of cured leaf per plant.

Bob

Cassidy

Now you got me wonderin about the descriptions at that site, I noted it claimed the Pima [FONT=&quot]is very hardy. and mild to smoke.[/FONT]. anyhow its all school. I hafta figure what is what I guess, forums are funny things .. no doubt everything I will ask is here somewhere already but there is a lot to read.
I believe I kinda get the idea of some of the cigarette basics.. somethin tasty is dark but powerful so you water it down with some pale stuff and sprinkle a lil spice on it with eastern stuff.. now I wonder about the cigar / pipe varieties like the Little Dutch you mentioned, do they have some characteristic that makes them undesirable for use in a cigarette?
To read here without actually trying the different leaf you would think they vary between being soft like a pillow and hard as concrete but I am starting to think these differences may be far more subtle.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Cigar varieties usually taste like cigar. On the NWT site, look at the long list of varieties. They are categorized by use class (e.g. cigar).

Bob

Leftynick

now I wonder about the cigar / pipe varieties like the Little Dutch you mentioned, do they have some characteristic that makes them undesirable for use in a cigarette?
To read here without actually trying the different leaf you would think they vary between being soft like a pillow and hard as concrete but I am starting to think these differences may be far more subtle.

I have used little dutch in cigarette blend before. It is like Bob said, it tasted too cigar-ish. Even in small amount. Pretty good in pipe though. This year I plant 2 types of burley, lighter and full flavor type. Big difference. Even though burley can be used as cigar filler, but in cigarette it doesn't alter the taste into cigar flavor. However, there are some mention that some cigar variety is good in cigarette blend too, such as Havana 142. Never grow it though but my Havana variety that I plant before is quite mild and blend well in cigarette. I tried another cigar variety, Besuki in cigarette and it give me plenty of cigar taste, even though it smelled pretty mild during curing.

So in my opinion, it depends on you. If you like your cigarette to taste like cigar, then no problem. It is not about hard or soft (full flavor or light), It's about cigar tasting in cigarette. I like my cigarette to taste like cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.