Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

best corn seeder for less than quarter acre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Has anyone gotten a quality corn seeder for a larger small piece of land? Or have a technique for doing it without one?

I've been reading around the internet and seen some things that get mixed reviews, I'm wondering if our guys have done a larger small plot and how they did it.

Was thinking of those wheeled things for a 1 row planter but there is a lot of talk about them being basically just flimsy.

BarG

Founding Member
I had a couple of good ones. They are married with kids now, time to train some new ones, heh heh.

OldDinosaurWesH

The Europeans specialize in small farm equipment. Our experimental people use European combines to harvest test plots. I think the headers are six feet wide. Over there, four acres is a big field. My dad found out about that in the Hegerow country in Normandy France in June of 1944.

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here's one that is designed for small market gardens or large home gardens, listed by Johnny's Select Seed:

09170_01_earthwayinset.jpg

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/seeders/earthway/earthway-vegetable-seeder-9170.html

$119

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
The antique big wheels are built pretty good, I have seen one recently planting peas.. Damn I wanted one, no bending over, but hey , I already got his antique stove in my shop.

BigBonner

Founding Member
It's interesting that you have one. Johnny's says that it is their best selling seeder.

Bob

Bought mine several years ago . The belt has started slipping and wheel needs oiling up .There is a lid that comes with that planter and several plats for different types of vegetables . I plant my tobacco with a two row setter and we will take that setter and mark off rows . Then all we have to do is follow the tobacco setter track with the earthway planter . If I plant a acre or two of sweet corn or sunflowers we use my regular corn planter , but for small rows we use the earthway planter .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I saw that one on Amazon and was intrigued but the negative reviews really had me wondering.

I saw one called the haraka punch planter developed by the bill gates foundation that is like a hardcore no till drill you can push, trying to find it available outside Africa... Should be maintenance free...

Oh well if bigb says the earth way is good to go I'll snag one in the spring if I'm not successful locating a haraka, thanks guys.

Next year I want to do 5k² in corn, the one I'm stabilizing is turning out great and my kids love cornbread

indianjoe

Founding Member
The earthway is a great planter for small gardens, I have had one for many years. Replacement parts are easily obtained.

Status
Not open for further replies.