Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

kiln + UV lamp for mould

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekul

Would placing a strong UV lamp inside the kiln help prevent mould growth?
I was thinking of using it as a heat source with the added benefit of reducing mould.

I was thinking using a humidity controller connected to a humidifier and a fan. Humidifier turns on when humidity is too high and fan turns on when its too high. A smaller fan will also be constantly on for air flow and another inside the chamber to ensure conditions are the same within the room.

Then there will be a temp controller connected to a few UV lamps that turn on when the temp is too low.

UV lamp should be ok because sun curing subjects the plant to lots of UV. I'm more worried about the ozone produced and the effect it may have. There is a patent that suggests treating leaves with ozone can reduce TSNAs, so maybe its a good thing? http://www.google.com/patents/US7992575

What does everyone else think?

ekul

how so? I've read quite a few threads about people getting mould. Is it less common then I'm led to believe?

Alpine

At kiln temps, mould can't grow. However, if you have "cold spots" with the high humidity mold can develop. I use a couple of PC fans inside the kiln to keep the air moving so the temps are the same throughout the kiln.

pier

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As Alpine says. Kiln temperatures do not kill mold spores (which are everywhere), but above 120ºF, mold cannot grow. So a kiln temp in the range of 125º, together with good air circulation will not allow mold growth, regardless of how high the humidity reaches.

Also, UV light cannot reach into all the convolutions of hanging tobacco leaf, which is where mold is most likely to grow if the temp is too low or the air does not circulate.

Bob

ekul

interesting! Thannks guys

Its been my biggest worry, mould is prolific where I am

Status
Not open for further replies.