Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toasting cured tobacco in an oven?

Can this change the taste of a tobacco after its cured? I've tried many diff types of casing (distilled water spritz, slight honey, lemon, orange or lime flavoring) and not seeing much change in this tobacco's taste. I bought 5 lbs of a yellow vfc off another grower (not WLT) just to try it. Nobody that has tried it likes it, lol. So I really need to alter its taste or just toss it.

I really didn't wanna post this but I'd rather not toss it if I can salvage it.

It was shipped to me pretty moist.....I left the bag open over a week.

The other varieties of tobacco I purchased taste good, no complaints.

Re: Toasting cured tobacco in an oven?

Try blending it with 40% burley and 10% Oriental.

Big tobacco toasts burley, but not flue-cured. You might also try just airing it. Take it all out of the bag, spread it out somewhere, and check back in a week or two. My own flue-cured changes when aired.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Try blending it with 40% burley and 10% Oriental.

Big tobacco toasts burley, but not flue-cured. You might also try just airing it. Take it all out of the bag, spread it out somewhere, and check back in a week or two. My own flue-cured changes when aired.

Bob
    Thanks, Bob.

I've tried blending it: Bursa, Prilep, YTB, Red virginia, Maryland 609

I'll try taking all of it completely out of the bag like you suggest.

Founding Member

Two questions
    1 . How are you shredding ? Shred width is a key to a good smoke
    2. What type of filters ? You may need to change filter types .

Quote Originally Posted by BigBonner View Post
    Two questions
    1 . How are you shredding ? Shred width is a key to a good smoke
    2. What type of filters ? You may need to change filter types .
    WLT 0.8mm manual shredder (don's el cheapo), have Don's HD shredder on the way though. Also 0.8mm.... I don't care for any shred wider then 0.8mm

I use Zen Red King Size tubes.....have a few boxes of ZigZag King Size FF tubes on the way here

btw, I did find a baggie of BURSA (nice size sample) inside the 2 lbs of the orange/red vfc. Like it.

ZigZagZeppelin:

I have been using the heavy duty manual shredder for over a year now, and had good results. Two things to know. One, is to keep it cleaned and lubricated. Very sticky tobacco gums it up. If you try to force the tobacco when the machine is gummed up you will damage the combs on the underside. Two, moisture content of the leaves you are shredding is very important. Excessively dry leaves will result in dust and fines with no shred. Excessively wet leaves will ball up on the underside and gum up the working parts. You will have to experiment with moisture to get a feel for what is right. One type I grew last year, Ternopolskii 7, is a low nicotine cigarette tobacco that is also naturally sticky. This stuff gave me fits trying to shred it because it gummed up my machine so quickly.

Based on my previous experience, the commercial tobaccos I have bought from WLT have been just about right for moisture content. The types I have purchased shred very well straight out of the freshly delivered bag. Be sure to trim the big stems out. Trying to jam big fat stems through the shredder will also damage the combs.

I have to de-commission my shredder every once and a while and take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning. This takes time, is a bit messy, and I don't like doing it. Cleaning is another one of those bothersome chores in life. But it has to be done from time to time. I use 95% ethanol to cut the sticky stuff. (Good old fashioned grain alcohol) I'm sure there are other solvents that would do a better faster job, but I'm not sure I want anything like that on my hands or on my tobacco. Other than the flammability, alcohol is pretty safe. (So long as you are not drinking the stuff!) With properly humidified tobacco, you can make nice long shreds with very little dust and fines. If you take care of your machine, it will treat you right.

Wes H.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDinosaurWesH View Post
    ZigZagZeppelin:

I have been using the heavy duty manual shredder for over a year now, and had good results. Two things to know. One, is to keep it cleaned and lubricated. Very sticky tobacco gums it up. If you try to force the tobacco when the machine is gummed up you will damage the combs on the underside. Two, moisture content of the leaves you are shredding is very important. Excessively dry leaves will result in dust and fines with no shred. Excessively wet leaves will ball up on the underside and gum up the working parts. You will have to experiment with moisture to get a feel for what is right. One type I grew last year, Ternopolskii 7, is a low nicotine cigarette tobacco that is also naturally sticky. This stuff gave me fits trying to shred it because it gummed up my machine so quickly.

Based on my previous experience, the commercial tobaccos I have bought from WLT have been just about right for moisture content. The types I have purchased shred very well straight out of the freshly delivered bag. Be sure to trim the big stems out. Trying to jam big fat stems through the shredder will also damage the combs.

I have to de-commission my shredder every once and a while and take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning. This takes time, is a bit messy, and I don't like doing it. Cleaning is another one of those bothersome chores in life. But it has to be done from time to time. I use 95% ethanol to cut the sticky stuff. (Good old fashioned grain alcohol) I'm sure there are other solvents that would do a better faster job, but I'm not sure I want anything like that on my hands or on my tobacco. Other than the flammability, alcohol is pretty safe. (So long as you are not drinking the stuff!) With properly humidified tobacco, you can make nice long shreds with very little dust and fines. If you take care of your machine, it will treat you right.

Wes H.
    Thanks for the reply, Wes.

I think the rollers and combs on the HD shredder are the same size as the shredders I've had. Its just the HD frame is more robust. I got 32 lbs of tobacco thru 2 of the el cheapos, I cleaned them often and maintained them. The frames fell apart, I keep the combs as spares and sharpen those with a wire brush, held in a vice.
    ~Will

Wen I was looking at them, the economy model didn't look that sturdy to me so I went with the heavy duty model. I've had good luck with it.

Wes H.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDinosaurWesH View Post
    Wen I was looking at them, the economy model didn't look that sturdy to me so I went with the heavy duty model. I've had good luck with it.

Wes H.
    Definitely looking forward to a more robust shredder! The HD is supposed to arrive later today. After this one dies I'll buy one off Tobacco and Machines I guess. Altho I've never bought anything from Europe before.

If an American manufacturer could build a manual 0.6mm HD shredder I'd pay $400 for it if all moving parts were available to replace, when needed.

I would pay that price for an even thinner cut... I wonder how big tobacco shreds their ryo baccy so thin!

pier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast