Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi to all from Italia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Thanks for the offer Charly. I must inform myself on the strains and then I will PM you.I smoke, but I'm not a smoker. :eek:In the sense that in some occasion (evening with friends, trekking on mountain and camp outside, etc.) I can smoke a few cigarette, or a bowls of pipe or a cigar, but then I can stay days or weeks without smoking.My biggest interest is in cigarette tobacco and in cigar tobacco, so my try with Virginia Gold and Vuelta Abajo (the Aztec was just for curiosity).If some other can give advice on strain resistant to PVY I will plan better my next season.
Last season I had the chance to get some NC#745 but I didn't accept it (don't really know why). But I will ask him if he perhaps can send me some seed of it and if he can I can send you those. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042682208004170

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Ciennepi:eek:ne thing you should know about is that variants that have better protection against PVY usually have very poor protection against insects.The trouble with growing is (what ever you growing) you will never find any variant that is perfect one everything..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Big Beef tomato (F1): High resistance to alternaria stem canker, fusarium wilt races 1, 2, gray leaf spot, nematodes, tobacco mosaic virus, and verticillium wilt.

That's about as extreme as I've seen resistance in any plant. With tobacco, you have to grow some varieties, then see which diseases are common in your specific dirt. After that, you can look for specific resistance.

Bob

ciennepi

Thank you Hasse for the link, I read a great part of it (it's a difficult argoment) but I understand that the NC#745 is only partial resistant to a specific variant of the PVY. So it could be useful or not, we must try.
I have read that the infection of PVY is trasmitted by the aphids, so maybe that a more effective strategy is to treat the tobacco with something against the aphids?
I think that Bob is correct. Next year I will try much different strain (only a few plant for type) and see wich is better suited for my ground, climate and disease.
One I have already decided, and is "Nostrano del Brenta" kindly offered by Alpine.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Big Beef tomato (F1): High resistance to alternaria stem canker, fusarium wilt races 1, 2, gray leaf spot, nematodes, tobacco mosaic virus, and verticillium wilt. That's about as extreme as I've seen resistance in any plant. With tobacco, you have to grow some varieties, then see which diseases are common in your specific dirt. After that, you can look for specific resistance. Bob
Yes Bob you are right on that but you also need to remember that F1 hybrids, as they are called, are a crossing of two inlaid plants with different characteristics, which have been selected because they are particularly good.And if you (like alot of us members do) bag the flowers and take seed from it the next generation doesn't have the same resistances. If you for example read about the hybrids from Germany you can find "CR" after the name. It's means, that this hybrid is resistant to black root rot (Chalara elegans). If you save seed from those variants the next generation will not have that resistance of (in this example) black root rot. That can be really good too remember and know.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have read that the infection of PVY is trasmitted by the aphids, so maybe that a more effective strategy is to treat the tobacco with something against the aphids?
Unlike many other diseases transmitted by aphids, PVY can be successfully transmitted in less than 15 minutes. So even if you use a systemic insecticide, like imidacloprid, the aphids will transmit the disease before they die from the insecticide.

Bob

ciennepi

Ok, so one possible solution may be to grow tobacco to a greater distance from potatoes and tomatoes to make more difficult the infection?

ciennepi

If I would chose now the strains for 2018 grow wath do you think of this selection?
For cigar: Nostrano del Brenta (for yours consideration)
Little Dutch (able to grow well in pot)
Connecticut Broadleave (for a strong wrapper).
Do you can give me a hint for a cigarette strain that dont need blending with others? Perhaps Bursa or Yellow Twist Nud?

mwaller

2017 was my first year growing, so I can't comment on the quality or flavor of my leaf...
However, I can tell you that Little Dutch grew very well in pots. I also grew Florida Sumatra in pots, and it did well. This is a popular wrapper variety.
Good luck!

If I would chose now the strains for 2018 grow wath do you think of this selection?
For cigar: Nostrano del Brenta (for yours consideration)
Little Dutch (able to grow well in pot)
Connecticut Broadleave (for a strong wrapper).
Do you can give me a hint for a cigarette strain that dont need blending with others? Perhaps Bursa or Yellow Twist Nud?

ciennepi

Good to hear what you say mwaller. Two strain are nailed: Nostrano del Brenta and Little Dutch. So I must choose a wrapper and a cigarette tobacco. Someone can give me a hint in consideration that my climate is non mediterranean but alpine (hot but short summer).

Status
Not open for further replies.