Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi to all from Italia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciennepi

Hi to all the readers off the forum.
This is my first post but it's a lot of month that I read the forum.
This year I have also coltivated a few plant of tobacco some in pot and some in the field. Virginia gold that I bought from ebay (my mistake) and Vuelta Abajo and Aztec from skychaser. Some things go right and some go bad (I will tell you later) but I hope to learn every year something new.:cool:

Charly

Welcome ciennepi :)
Don't worry, with tobacco, there is always new things to learn and discover !
Tell us more about your first grow, what went wrong/right ? So we can learn from your experience too.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Hi and welcome. Tobacco is really interesting and it is impossible to know everything about and around it. There is so many part to look at so.. I think it going to be interesting to follow you here at FTT!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I love this. Welcome to FTT. Two welcomes from France, one from Italy and one from Sweden. I'll say hello from Virginia.

Feel free to post your grow (and photos) in the Grow Blogs section. In case you have not discovered these yet, have a look at the growers' FAQ (link at the top of every page), and the Index of Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum, which is worth a bookmark in your browser.

If you go to your profile, you can enter your general location. Then your location will appear alongside each of your posts. That helps other members when they attempt to answer any of your growing questions.

Bob

Thedbs999

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great information here. These guys are first class.

Got my seeds from Skychaser too.

Dan

ciennepi

Thank you to all for the welcome.
In short this year this happened to me:
Aztec and Vuelta Abajo growed in pot (50% field ground and 50% recycled peat from flowers pot) were are all OK;
For the tobacco growed in the field, Virginia Gold (obscure strain from ebay) come very good BUT Aztec and Vuelta Abajo (from skychaser) were all exterminated from PVY and frenching (I try two times with the same results).
I have to specify that the field in which I cultivated the tobacco was used also for tomatoes and potatoes.
It can be that the ebay variety is more "modern" and so more resistant than the more "old" variety of skychaser?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
A short answer would be no, you can find alot of much more modern variants of tobacco that have very bad resistance.But I have done a translation of the thing I have written about VIRGINIA GOLD, very few (or no one have this information about that variant written on their pages)..Virginia Gold: • Plant height: 130-200cm • Recommended topping: 120-140cm (17-18 leaves). • Leaf length: Around: 60cm. • Leaf width: 27-35cm. • Maturation: 55-56days after planting. • yield : Around 62g of dried tobacco per plant. Measured alkaloids: • Nicotine: 2.4% by weight. The sugar content measured at: • 21% of tobacco total weight. Divided in 1942 with the following pedigree: Yellow Special-> Cash Virginia Gold is a mediocre Virginia "Brightleaf" so that one can say that they heat dried variants that contain more alkaloids classes to have high levels. While those who have less counts as low-grade. Virginia Gold is a medium-sized variant with good yield (about 62g of dried tobacco per plant). This tobacco also has good resistance to "black root rot" and has a good ability to develop fine roots, regardless of whether they grow under softer or dry cultivation conditions. However, it may be good to know that tobacco growing a bit drier gets a higher level of alkaloids (nicotine and nicotine-related) than tobacco that have greater access to water. The leaves can start harvesting approximately 45 days from the date you plant the plant and the entire plant is mature about 50-56 days after planting. The leaves are yellowing as they mature. So it's a light black to handle. Unfortunately, it has little or no resistance to TMV (Mosaic Virus) and Wildfire. The tobacco is classified as "fly-cured" (F-C) and is dried with the method of an orange brown color. Men's hobby grows around the world-often it makes a very nice tobacco for different tobacco blends.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
-I really hope you can read that information better than I can because I can't read it myself (sometimes I hate my smartphone). But if you or someone else have problems reading the information I just given on Virginia Gold send me a PM and I shall see what I can do to write it better (with out translation programs)..Some times even a bad English speaker is better than a translated text.. LOL

Charly

Ciennepi, I understand how you feel, I had a lot of problems with PVY this year too :(

I am trying a lot of different strains to find the ones that work best where I live (in France), so far, I found a few strains that seems to be more resistant against PVY (and some other diseases) :
- Nostrano del Brenta (an Italian strain :) )
- Semois (from Belgium),
- Bolivian Criollo Black,
- Symbol 4,
- Bahia,
- Adonis,
- Xanthy,

I will save seeds from these strains, so if you want to try them I can send you these seeds (when they will be dried, in a few weeks) ;)
Since I have PVY problems, I don't know if many people will want seeds from my garden, but if you have already some problems with PVY, it should not be worse :)
Or you can get "clean" seeds, at http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm

Just keep up and try new strains, I am sure you will find something you'll love ;)

ciennepi

Thanks for the offer Charly. I must inform myself on the strains and then I will PM you.
I smoke, but I'm not a smoker. :eek:
In the sense that in some occasion (evening with friends, trekking on mountain and camp outside, etc.) I can smoke a few cigarette, or a bowls of pipe or a cigar, but then I can stay days or weeks without smoking.
My biggest interest is in cigarette tobacco and in cigar tobacco, so my try with Virginia Gold and Vuelta Abajo (the Aztec was just for curiosity).
If some other can give advice on strain resistant to PVY I will plan better my next season.

Charly

You are welcome Ciennepi,
I don't smoke cigarettes, I am not a "big smoker" either, I smoke cigars and pipes, but not on a daily basis, sometimes one week or two may pass without seeing me with a smoke.
From what I know, to make cigarettes, it's advised to mix : flue cured (virignia) + burley + oriental
But I don't know more.

I could give you more informations on the strains I got, but you will have to wait until I smoke them :D :D
Or try a search here, there are already some informations (and on northwoods site too).

What I can tell you is the type (or main use) of each :

- Nostrano del Brenta (cigar)
- Semois (mild burley),
- Bolivian Criollo Black (dark air or burley ?),
- Symbol 4 (bright leaf),
- Bahia (cigar),
- Adonis (dark air),
- Xanthy (oriental)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that, for an occasional smoker, Nostrano del Brenta would be a good choice. It is native to Italy (at least for the past few hundred years), highly productive, a robustly growing plant, and the finished tobacco is relatively mild and flavorful. A commercial cigar was recently introduced in Italy, called "Nostrano del Brenta". Although I have not smoked them, they are reported to be much milder than Toscano cigars. (If you search Google for Nostrano del Brenta, you will find articles and videos about the commercial cigar.)

Garden20161217_2394_cigar_NostranoDelBrenta_600.jpg

Lower leaf from my own 2016 grow.

The upper leaf is much darker, but remains mild.

Bob

Alpine

Nostrano cigars are made only with Nostrano leaves that are air cured and kilned. Toscanos are made with Kentucky fire cured and Beneventano (that undergoes a peculiar treatment with water in order to obtain an acetic fermentation called "infuocatura") and are consequently much stronger tasting

pier

ciennepi

So I must try the Nostrano del Brenta!
Because it taste good, because it can be more resistent to Pvy and........ because it is of my home land.

Status
Not open for further replies.