Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How tightly should a cigar be rolled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras_oscar

I was originally thinking the rolled stick should be rock hard. However, I've recently been fingering some (of my own, already purchased) commercial sticks, and noticed there is a fairly wide variation. Also, once the sticks starts to heat up, they feel quite soft but still smokes well. Do you think the commercial boys apply something to the wrapper to act like starch and make them feel harder than they actually are?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
They just use a mold, then wrap it after.

Like you mine get soft as the binder gets moist but by then it's usually towards the end. The main thing is having the leaf in the right case and having a good draw. Sometimes my filler was a tad too moist so if draw is hard I'll just set it aside in a dry room until it draws good. Nothing worse than bad draw.

MarcL

I don't think so. if so, they're not going to say. I thought that they should have more firmness when I rolled them when nothing I was rolling with that thought would draw. then the thought to let them dry or set up, marry, rest. it seems nothing without consideration to a drier condition when rolling skips this part. they always give them as much time to set as they need. I do believe there is a difference between the ones at the brick and mortar store and the ones you'll get from on line. This rest time cost money in sales.

ras_oscar

ok, so: how firm should it be? A commercial stick can be as hard as a raw steak. Mine feel more like a stuffed animal. OR, should I not worry, so long as they smoke well? FYI, I am NOT applying a wrapper, I am NOT capping and I am NOT molding. Those steps come later in my self learning process. ( I want to get the best I can at each stage before moving on)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Just worry about the draw. Pack as much as you can given the diameter you want. As deluxe Bob always says roll one and smoke it rinse and repeat.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you can't smoke a bound bunch immediately, then the filler may be in too high a case. With filler in low case, and a binder in medium case (assuming the binder adequately seals the bunch against air leaks), you should be able to fire up the stogie moments after rolling.

Bob

webmost

Prolly feels soft cause you're neither molding nor wrapping it. A mold will tighten things up; then the binder holds it there. A damp & stretchy wrapper will tighten down as it dries, & so it gets even harder. Easy to test -- throw in the missing stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.