Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Growing a few this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek14

EaFts7V.jpg
Late spring, two front in this pic are Kelley Burley, back one is Havana.
ofWx8We.jpg
This one is also Havana, set back by deer damage.
JtweeOX.jpg
Probably late July, the two Kelley Burley. The Kelly Burley has some big leaves. They are already yellowing and getting picked.
P63oCtm.jpg
That set back Havana is in fuller sun than the other and is recovering nicely.Last week (Sept.), the biggest Kelley Burley has had most of its big leaves yellow and get picked. The Havana to the far right is getting less sun than the other and was tromped by deer mid season.
aHyg3fR.jpg
But the other Havana which was deer damaged (they nibble the very young plants I think) is in fuller sun and has recovered well. Only harvested leaves touching the ground on the Havanas and will hang the whole plant with them I guess.Saw a sunrise at a local park the next morning after those last two pics.
ZFoTnaT.jpg
DFc8vwg.jpg
And enjoyed some cigar leave in my cob, retrofitted with a reed stem.

davek14

One of my pics didn't come through. I can't get back into the message to edit for clarity. Anyway, here is the pic
ufQtASY.jpg
.Last week (Sept.), the biggest Kelley Burley has had most of its big leaves yellow and get picked. The Havana to the far right is getting less sun than the other and was tromped by deer mid season.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My very first grow was a total of 16 plants in a single 5' x 12' bed. Kelly Burley was one of them (4 plants), so it holds a special place for me. I've found that year after year, I occasionally have to refer to my grow logs to refresh my memory of what I grew and how I handled it. Thanks for your grow log.

If you go to your profile, and enter your general location, that will appear beside each of your posts (and anchor your grow to a location in my mind).

Bob

davek14

It’s Oct. 1 and the nights are getting pretty cool. Not a lot of rain. The plants are getting scraggly so down they come. I left some bottom side sprouts so I could try for some more leaf.

1ieWLVE.jpg

That big Kelley Burley has a bottom sprout which looks like a small plant.

zyZ8aQD.jpg

Hanging in the garage. The freshly harvested plants are hanging on the left. The rest is leaf which has been harvested as it yellowed.

RLdsYQK.jpg

greenmonster714

Nice looking harvest. I'd never heard of that Burley. It looks delicious. Being a native of SE Ohio. I've been down in your area many times to watch the Reds. Sometimes I miss Ohio but I will never miss the long cold winter's. It seems like that whole Ohio valley area makes your bones ache. Today I enjoy the short cold snaps of Alabama. It can get rather cold here at times dipping below zero occasionally but that is of short duration thankfully.

davek14

So, what I'm wondering is whether or not I should have tried to keep the plants growing. This time of year we have many cold nights. The first frost is a ways away this year probably but I'm mowing the yard every 2-3 weeks and everything is just slowing way down.

ChinaVoodoo

So, what I'm wondering is whether or not I should have tried to keep the plants growing. This time of year we have many cold nights. The first frost is a ways away this year probably but I'm mowing the yard every 2-3 weeks and everything is just slowing way down.

Leave it. You're good to 30F. The freezing point of tobacco is somewhere around 28.5F.

Status
Not open for further replies.