Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
after i seen the price,,,,

i didnt even look at the picture {lol}

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Those are some impressive gears. Compare them to the rinky-dink toy gears on a paper shredder.

Bob

well how about the pasta shredder,?

is that a good machine for what we use it for,

im thinking of getting one,?

Boboro

I e mailed back and forth with thease people all week and only got the price from 300 too 915. the sheader is about 5" wide and is shiped in a plywood box?? Something is missing but I cant put it togiter.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I personally don't see how it could work. The blades would have to mesh with each other to cut the leaf. So for that to work, the blades and the spacing between the blades would have to be within a couple of thousandths of each other. The blades in the picture look like they are wider than the space between the blades.

To make a set of blades, you would have to find 0.7mm - 1mm thick washers (all the same) in two widths...like 1" and 1 1/2" with the same bore size. Alternate the sizes on a threaded rod and make an exact opposite copy for the other set of blades. It would be best if the washers were keyed in the rod, but you could probably use some titebond between the washers and crank the crap out of a couple of lock nuts to keep the blade from spinning.

The most important piece to the cutter is the rake that goes between the blade to clear the tobacco. It would have to be made of spring steel and fit so there was constant pressure against the spacers between the blades.

The housing is no big deal and you can always use a direct drive gear reduction motor.

Piece of cake...could have had it done in the time it took to type this.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer

Me too:
2660_3_0_0.JPG

Just need the optional cigarette lighter adapter and or a jerry rigged batterypack and you can shred all the baccy you want while on the go! Only $24.99 while supplies last, see store for details.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
But seriously folks... There are several things to consider when buying a shredder. In no particular order.. cost, throughput and the ability to make a shred. The pasta shredder that hand cranks is cheap ($20.00-Ebay), it makes a really nice shag and its throughput is pretty good. The downside is it has cheap-ass gears and is manually operated.. Another option is the Kitchen Aid pasta attachment. The cost is about $80-$90 (Ebay). It makes a really nice shag and will shred quicker than you can feed leaves through it. The one downside is, although the gears are nice and robust, it does have a nylon bushing in the drive section that can snap if you try to feed 4 to 6 leaves stacked together through it at once. A Teck-1 can be had for about $100.00, makes a short, nice shag,is really robust but it is manual so the throughput is dependent upon the operator. If you are going to be shredding lots of tobacco ( as in if you smoke cigarettes) I would highly recommend the Kitchen Aid, until something better/cheaper/more robust comes along. As long as you feed a leave or two through at a time you'll be able to shred tons of tobacco with it!
I have not used a blender but I just can't see it making a nice shred for stuffing tubes or pipes.

Randy B.. Proud owner of 3 pasta makers, 2 Kitchen Aid attachments and a Teck -1

And in keeping with full disclosure: I tore up one of my hand crank pasta makers and destroyed the gears. I also broke one of my Kitchen -Aid attachments by trying to feed a thick piece of compressed Perique through it. The Teck-1.. I haven't managed to destroy yet (and doubt I'll be able too)

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I really like this cutter design. It uses more of a knife blade than a square edge wheel. I think it would be a lot easier to make something like this than a pasta cutter mechanism.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Don

Where's the plug in ? I didn't see a cord with either of them .

They are interesting .You never know what antique that exist that will serve as a shredder .

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Hate to monopolize the thread, but...Here's a Tech 1 (like) slicer with a force feed mechanism. It looks like it would work well as long as you didn't push too much through at the same time AND kept the blades clean and sharp.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Don

Where's the plug in ? I didn't see a cord with either of them .

They are interesting .You never know what antique that exist that will serve as a shredder .

Cords are over-rated...especially if you have one with only one end on it...it happened to me today ;) Loaded up a bunch of tools to build some shelves in the new warehouse. Got my saw out, measured the wood, grabbed the extension cord...no female end. Short corded it the whole day.

Status
Not open for further replies.