Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Long time lurker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warman

Morning all,I've been a member here for a number of years and a long time lurker. Figured I should probably do the right thing and introduce myself (or re-introduce...).I live in Canada (Quebec) and grow my own cigar tobacco (~20 plants/season) supplemented with WLT buys. My small (2'x2'x3') fermenter was inspired by AmaxB's posts of his journey.I have a good 3-4 years of tobacco crops hanging in my garage (much to my neighbourhood's fear/wonderment :) that I ferment a batch a couple times a year.My rolling is acceptable but my blending has been horrible.For the most part, I still rely mostly on bought sticks but my supply is getting very low and there is no trip to US or South in the near future. As I have a cigar daily, I rarely buy premium sticks, usually whatever box is a good price at the time.My last trip to Dominican in Jan of this year I brought back a used Lieberman machine that I am still playing with.I am trying to explore blending much more to be satisfied with my MYOs. Unfortunately for a number of years I was just taking whatever and throwing it into a cigar and expecting it to taste like something. I was not super diligent about cataloging my hanging leaves so everything is very much a crapshoot.I recently ordered 1 of each of the (6) cigar blends from WLT and am excited to see what a proper blend can do rather than my previous strategy of just ordering what looks good or what my 'infinite experience' tells me will taste good; it has not worked well. I have read up on most of the blends here and typically I am overwhelmed by the number of types I would have to buy just to try the blend so I am very much hoping I can at hone in on my likes by trying the kits first. I feel very much like I am starting back at square one but down a much better path.For my fermentation, I have been using sealed containers and misting but I do find that doesn't work too well in my fermenter. The bottom gets dry so quickly and I inevitably add too much water so I don't have to check it multiple times a day.I am waiting on an ultrasonic mist unit to blow humidity into the fermenter so hopefully that will improve my fermentation and humidity levels in a more automated fashion.Cheers all!Warren

Warman

Hi CV!Really depends on the summer. I have tried probably 10 different types (CT, fl sum, havanaxxx, black mammoth, are a few that I remember).Probably CT and Florida Sumatra were the most impressive plants (> 6ft with large leaves) but I know some of the varieties are not meant to grow that big (ex.black mammoth).This year, for instance, not a huge amount of growth until end of Aug. In the last month things have taken off; but it may bring issues for color curing with cooler weather moving in.A variety that matures faster is definitely an asset.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
L'Assencion is vaguely near you right Warren? China got that strain into genpub this year, but I'd think just about anything will grow. Welcome.

ChinaVoodoo

I don't know what that is Smokes (L'Assencion), but I am intrigued...

L'Assomption is a Quebec variety of cigar tobacco which was developed at a research facility in L'Assomption, Quebec, I believe in the thirties. I have some seed. I haven't grown it yet. I had a thermostat problem and the seedlings died. I plan on growing it next year and hopefully multiplying the seed supply.

Warman

Ah nice! I'd be interested to see how the grow goes. I am always balancing varieties that I grow with how long it typically takes to mature so maybe something cultivated in Canada will mean a shorter growing season.If you plant seeds from previous crops it presumably is more adapted to your environment, soil, daylight, ex. I wonder if the plants would ripen faster over multiple generations...

Status
Not open for further replies.