Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bitter Snus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubhelix

I've made Snus a couple times, and each time it tastes bitter. I've used General Los, Skruf Los, and many other brands. I've tried using various tobaccos, last year I used criollo, and thought maybe that was why it was bitter, but this year I used DAC Rot Front, and...same taste.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll post my formula in a minute.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
My advice in this case is to not use Dark variants. I love them but if you try light tobacco you will find a different taste

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I've only gotten bitter once and it was unquestionably the strain, do you add anything else? Could it be the process you are using?

I recommend getting red tip burley from bigbonner by sending him a pm, it has more of a dark chocolate taste and you don't give up much punch since it's all tip leaf.

dubhelix

Thanks Hasse, I guess I'll grow something different next summer.

My Snus tastes a bit like plain soap, maybe? Could it be the soda (cooked from the Bicarbonate)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Arm and hammer washing soda sold at Walmart in the laundry section is the alkaloid of choice.

dubhelix

Arm and hammer washing soda sold at Walmart in the laundry section is the alkaloid of choice.

i don't know why I bothered cooking down baking soda. I have (literally) a half metric ton of kosher, food grade Na2CO3. I guess I'll try that next time.

dubhelix

I've only gotten bitter once and it was unquestionably the strain, do you add anything else? Could it be the process you are using?

I recommend getting red tip burley from bigbonner by sending him a pm, it has more of a dark chocolate taste and you don't give up much punch since it's all tip leaf.

My Formula is:

100 grams Rot Front Dark Air Cured (sifted)
200 ml (g) water
10 grams Sea Salt
10 grams Sodium Carbonate
5 grams (1 tsp) Vegetable Glycerine

cooked at 80C for 70 hours.

additions of liquid smoke and various flavorings don't decrease the soapy bitterness. I just end up with Snus that tastes like Bergamot Soap. Or Mint Soap.

The good news is that the Snus contains ample available nicotine. And it was free (kinda).
The bad news is, if it is just the DAC tobacco, it's going to be a long, bitter year until next years crop.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I do my batches one 1000g tobacco at the time waiting 1-3 week before I use my snus..90°c first 12h with salt and water after that I have water with Sodium Carbonate let it cook again 24h.I add some liquid smoke in the water each step but it smells less if you add it after, but also take longer time for the taste to come together.When I do " Make your own snus kit" I have liquid smoke, Bergamott, Anise and citrus taste in it (newer in my own tobacco).. The problem is that I like when snus are more bitter, not to much but absolutely more bitter than light tobacco variants alone..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I found my test batch on root front!152g tobacco.150ml water.4,7g salt4,7g Sodium Carbonate.0,5ml water.

squeezyjohn

I think 10g sodium carbonate for 100g of tobacco is too much and too much alkali can lead to bitter snus or snus that takes longer to mature. Also it can be down to the bitterness of the tobacco you use to start with. A good test is to simply taste the cured leaf before you grind it. If it is bitter then ... it will be bitter after the snus has been made as well ... I always try to make my snus from quite sweet leaf.

dubhelix

After 3.5 weeks of refrigerated aging, the bitter taste has mellowed quite a bit. It's almost....good now.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Recently I tried tweaking my process. The leaf and additions remained the same. I normally pressure cook for 5 hours total, this time I only did it for 1.5 hours and it had a moderately bitter aftertaste.

Something to think about

ekul

I watched this interview with a snus maker and he says that most companies use 50% stem which reduces the bitterness. He says when using whole leaf it can be quite bitter but the quality is better so perhaps that is what you are tasting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRjmdJ1R7yY (english subtitles)

OldDinosaurWesH

Don't the major cigarette companies use stems make "Mother Liquor", which is then doused in its liquid state on the shred?

Or so I was told.

Wes H.

greenmonster714

They use stem because they are cutting costs.

Do ya really think that? I mean it sounds like they do it to cut costs but are the stems really worthless. To me the stems would hold a larger amount of nicotine and be useful for something. I say that as someone with no experience with stems.
I had a friend mention the use of stems for snus and I'd planned on researching that. Now this video and conversation come up. Smokes, have you ever used stems for anything? I'm curious.

ekul

Do ya really think that? I mean it sounds like they do it to cut costs but are the stems really worthless. To me the stems would hold a larger amount of nicotine and be useful for something. I say that as someone with no experience with stems.
I had a friend mention the use of stems for snus and I'd planned on researching that. Now this video and conversation come up. Smokes, have you ever used stems for anything? I'm curious.

The stems actually contain low levels of nicotine according to that video. I actually thought it would be the opposite.

The good news is that for us snus guys we get to use the whole leaf which makes it easier to process AND adds a little weight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.