Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitter Snus.

Re: Bitter Snus.

After 3.5 weeks of refrigerated aging, the bitter taste has mellowed quite a bit. It's almost....good now.

That's good news, hope you soon can enjoy a better"snus" than the one you can buy in the store!

Super Moderator

Recently I tried tweaking my process. The leaf and additions remained the same. I normally pressure cook for 5 hours total, this time I only did it for 1.5 hours and it had a moderately bitter aftertaste.

Something to think about

I watched this interview with a snus maker and he says that most companies use 50% stem which reduces the bitterness. He says when using whole leaf it can be quite bitter but the quality is better so perhaps that is what you are tasting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRjmdJ1R7yY (english subtitles)

Super Moderator

They use stem because they are cutting costs.

Don't the major cigarette companies use stems make "Mother Liquor", which is then doused in its liquid state on the shred?

Or so I was told.

Wes H.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesAhoy View Post
    Yes but apparently its widespread. If thats what he's used to then maybe thats why he thinks his snus is bitter

Quote Originally Posted by SmokesAhoy View Post
    Do ya really think that? I mean it sounds like they do it to cut costs but are the stems really worthless. To me the stems would hold a larger amount of nicotine and be useful for something. I say that as someone with no experience with stems.
    I had a friend mention the use of stems for snus and I'd planned on researching that. Now this video and conversation come up. Smokes, have you ever used stems for anything? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDinosaurWesH View Post
    Don't the major cigarette companies use stems make "Mother Liquor", which is then doused in its liquid state on the shred?

Or so I was told.

Wes H.
    Wes, what is this Mother Liquor? Is it some sort of casing liquid? Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster714 View Post
    Do ya really think that? I mean it sounds like they do it to cut costs but are the stems really worthless. To me the stems would hold a larger amount of nicotine and be useful for something. I say that as someone with no experience with stems.
    I had a friend mention the use of stems for snus and I'd planned on researching that. Now this video and conversation come up. Smokes, have you ever used stems for anything? I'm curious.
    The stems actually contain low levels of nicotine according to that video. I actually thought it would be the opposite.

The good news is that for us snus guys we get to use the whole leaf which makes it easier to process AND adds a little weight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast