Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

3 Tobacco Pipe/Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

I grew a bunch of cigar tobaccos this year - Corojo 99, Criollo 98, Vuelta Abajo, Florida Sumatra, and Havana 142. I have kilned samples from each variety, and none of them taste like a cigar... it's pretty disheartening!
I'm slowing rolling my way through a number of WLT cigar leaves, and they are excellent.
I'm hoping that additional age will help bring out the 'cigar' character in my homegrown leaf, but I'm not holding my breath. Let me know how you like that Piloto Cubano!

I've grown every one of the ones you listed. However,
Most of my leaf is still in sealed gasketed tubs ..aging. Every 6 months I crack them open to see if I notice any changes. color not so much but the aromas just keep getting better. The hard part is being patient and let nature do its thing. You have to realize that the WLT leaf is grown in the tropics and aged in bales for Im guessing more than 6 actual years. Not sure and very doubtful that kilning is even thought of.

mwaller

Well, this gives me some hope that they may yet amount to something. As the leaves emerge from the kiln, I've been sorting, flattening, and placing them in vapor proof bags for safe keeping.
I know that kilning is not typically used in commercial cigar leaf production. However, I had inferred that it was a 'shortcut' to long-term natural aging. Perhaps not...

I've grown every one of the ones you listed. However,
Most of my leaf is still in sealed gasketed tubs ..aging. Every 6 months I crack them open to see if I notice any changes. color not so much but the aromas just keep getting better. The hard part is being patient and let nature do its thing. You have to realize that the WLT leaf is grown in the tropics and aged in bales for Im guessing more than 6 actual years. Not sure and very doubtful that kilning is even thought of.

Smokin Harley

Just make sure the leaf you place in storage bags are at a low case,dry and leathery but still barely pliable ,otherwise you'll get mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.