Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Horse Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

We get a call from the local county sherrifs office. They are about to serve warrents on a residence accused of cruelty to animals. We hook up the trailer and by the time we arrive they have the people in cuffs. Off to the right I see an area of about 20'x20' fenced in. Inside it is this mare. A young mare less than 2. Head down and legs trembling. I honestly thought that this girls not going to make it but regardless of what I was thinking we loaded the girl up into the trailer. Its as almost she knew she was leaving and almost ran us over to get to the trailer. Upon arrival to her new home about 30 miles away. It appears she was to weak to stand the whole time. When we opened the door she had laid down and she looked like a skeleton of a horse. One can only imagine the hunger and abuse this animal has gone through.

She could barly stand up to be unloaded and with shaking trembling legs we guided her to her temporary hold. We have a eighth of an acre fenced off from the main pasture that we use to get any new arrivals used to their new surroundings and they can go nose to nose with the others for a while until they are well enough to join them.

We got her situated in her new home and gave her half a serving of feed, a few pads of hay and all the grass she wants. It has been a week now and she no longer trembles while she stands and appears to be getting stronger. So, its up to full servings and a good worming. She should turn into a beauty in about 6months. She has a very sweet manor about her as if she appreciates all we do.

Here is nobility without conceit, friendship without envy, beauty without vanity. "Bread may feed my body, but my horse feeds my soul." author unkown

IMG_20170925_175458157_HDR.jpg

As the months roll by I will give progress reports on this little lady. Along with progress of others we have.

ZigZagZeppelin

It's good to see that decent people still exist, sometimes!

Big hearted of ya, I see the cruel animal horders in the newspapers locally. They usually get the book thrown at them and rightfully so.

Best of luck nurturing that horse back to good health.

OldDinosaurWesH

One lucky horse. Unfortunately, you read about these kind of things too often. You two will become the best of friends.

Wes H.

Charly

Humankind disgusts me way too often... :(
it's a shame...

It takes so little to make animals happy...

What you are doing with your rescued animals warms my heart and gives me hope for humanity.
Be proud !

Gavroche

Bravo ... this beautiful history is one of reasons why I have never bought an animal ... far too much of abandoned to adopt!

Bravo... cette belle histoire est une des raisons pour laquelle je n'ai jamais acheté un animal... beaucoup trop d'abandonnés à adopter !

greenmonster714

Our little skinny guy has grown into a beauty. This guys name is Sherlock but it should be Houdini. Can't tell ya how many times this guys broke outta prison to try the grass on the other side. He has made us walk the fence perimeter more than a few times to see where he was getting out. One night someone knocked on our door at 0430 to let us know he was out again. I think we have him figured out now. Its been days since his last escape. My wife got on him last week and he was so gentle with her. He loves carrots, sugar cubes, and doritos..lol. He likes the occasional pipe tobacco as well.

Before After
IMG_20170526_194158991.jpg20170407_193111.jpg IMG_20171019_181841553.jpgreceived_10154871412011951.jpeg

Sunny D the mare at the beginning of this thread is doing much better. She's put on some weight and by spring she already has a nice family interested in her. She is such a sweet horse.

Smokin Harley

We love horses . When we moved here there were horses in the pasture surrounding our property. Apparently the owners were only leasing and have since come to get them. We miss them . They used to take place of watching tv.

I forgot where you live . My wife and I would love to come see your horses. ..probably end up talking about tobacco too.

Charly

Congratulations for taking care of these horses !
It's good to see Sherlock becoming healthier :)

BarG

Founding Member
When I broke my first horse she didnt even try to buck me,[ It wasn't even beraking] that was trust between man and animal. She did buck me a year later when a guy cranked up his motorcycle next to us and I landed back first on the ground and didn't even spill my beer heh heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.