Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

varietal studies (flue-cured, Burley and Dark tobacco) Ottawa 1935

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu

Looks really interesting indeed. Gonna give this some good attention once I have some free time on my hands. Printing it now!

ChinaVoodoo

Wow. That's a good find. Beaverlodge is listed as an experimental station. There only half an hour drive. I wonder if they still have seed stashed away in some box.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent read. Thanks for finding that. Their "Quality Index" is, of course, limited to suitability to specific market needs in Canada in 1935 (which are likely no longer applicable now, even in Canada), and may have little relevance for a home grower. But I found the descriptions of the individual varieties to be generally useful for those that are still available. The note at the end, on Harrow Velvet, is the most detailed info on that variety that I've seen.

There are some peculiarities to their methodology. For example, the taller, faster growing varieties yielded fewer leaves than the slower, shorter varieties when they were all topped to the same height. Well...duh.

All in all, a worthwhile publication.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob I believe Oxford have a great disruption for Harrow velvet to. I don't have time to find it right now. Have much to do at the moment..But in this I found some interesting disruptions about variant I don't have seen disruptions about anywhere elseLike this:"Lockwood White Burley (3177) was obtained from the Bureau of Plant In- dustry, United States Department of Agriculture, 1930. It can be dis- tinguished in the area, with its characteristic dark green color and the ruffled or puckered leaf surface. The cured leaves are medium red in color, rough in texture, and a little brittle." Very interesting but I don't think you shall put to much attention on the years in the pages because Lockwood have been growing in Kentucky already 1916-1917. So 1930 most be when it comes to Canada. Ooo Lockwood was also the first Burley variants that was growing in Tennesse year 1918

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
"First Burley GrowersNow, the record of burley tobacco in this county is a pretty difa different history.The first man to make a crop in this Country was William Morrow,Lower Jonathan Creek, 1918. He got his seed (LockwoodVariety) in Tennessee. This was *a great big gift! rough tobacco,Tom explained. got some seed from William and put myself out there as a crop,bout an acre, the next year, he continued: it is also Billy Parkinson PantherCreek to put out the same year as I did. So we three were the firstto grow burley in this county, so far as I know, " said Uncle Tom.But Lockwood different was not long here, it seems. Accord-ing to Tom it was *too big, rough and strong why, l it grew tohad leaves over two feet wide and almost four feet long."- That book are also little interesting to read "Smokey mountain stories" (I have found it in Google books)

ChinaVoodoo

I've realized through this that we are standing on the shoulders of giants.

I was mistaken when I said Beaverlodge was near Edmonton. I was thinking of Beaverhill.honest mistake, but it got me reading about the superintendent of the Beaverlodge experimental station, William Albright. He homesteaded in the Grande Prairie area in 1913. It's very likely he knew my great grandfather. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Donald_Albright

I imagine each of the names in this document has a story to tell.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That's true ChinaVoidoo every Name have a history to tell (some times not so long but often a interesting story).

Status
Not open for further replies.