Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stunting plants for later

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekul

When I was 15 I first started growing tobacco. Because of lack of money sometimes I had to keep the plants in small pots. They would pretty much stop growing till I got them in a bigger pot or in the ground.

Fast forward 17 years and Im giving it another crack. I really only have space for 4 big plants. Do you reckon its possible to keep a few plants in small pots stunted so that my turn around is quicker? Or should I just time it better with seeds?

Anyone done this before?

ekul

when I as 15 I didnt realise it needed to cure, so it tasted really bad. I used to make a type of chewing tobacco where I'd smear it with molasses and roll it up in tight balls. Then I'd compress the balls in a little wooden square with a vice. When I wanted a bit I'd slice a bit off. Actually tasted pretty ok. I dont even know how I worked that out, in australia we dont have chewing tobacco

DistillingJim

How are you planning on consuming the tobacco? Many varities are quite small to start with. Litttle Duth, Ahus and many orientals stay under 3ft

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that there is no benefit to prolonged keeping tobacco in small pots for later transplant, compared to just timing your see germination. I've grown several varieties
of tobacco in 3-1/2" pots for two years, then transplanted them to the ground in their third season. Some died immediately, while most grew into reasonable, full size plants.

So, it works, but it's a lot of additional bother for no gain.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.