Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Early offshoots or normal development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bya1305

So I haven't been able to find much on this particular point. My 4 week old plants have been growing new leaves from the center above the previous tier, but they are also growing tiny leaves underneath the big bottom ones. I was wondering if this was normal growth or if these small ones are something i need to watch/snip

Shot from above
20171008_110320.jpg

Underneath bottom most big leaves
20171008_110327.jpg20171008_110323.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those tiny leaves that arise from lower on the stem, or at a leaf axil are perfectly normal, AND...you should pinch them off. They are suckers.

Bob

bya1305

Oh ok cool, I wasn't sure if the plants started suckering this early. Good to know. Thank you!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Many stressors will cause them to put out suckers early, generally they don't come back until after topping.

As to one stress that doesn't seem to tell the plant to make suckers is trying to grow 50+ plants in an 8 ounce plastic container, but that really makes sense when you think about it.

bya1305

That particular example (the photos) is a Florida Sumatra. I have since taken those off all the plants that have them. I'm wondering why it happened to pretty much every variety I have growing. They are in 9 oz cups and are only 4 weeks old.

bya1305

So I went through this morning and took off all growth beneath the main two large leaves and a lot of my group 2 ended up floppy afterwards, as in when I lightly shake the cups they wobble pretty freely. Are they just done at that point? I was as careful as I could be to pinch the leaves with my nails and not tug at the plant at all. I'm confused as to what happened, were the suckers giving it stability?

greenmonster714

If they are to as you say floppy. You can add a little soil to the cup and use it to support the seedling. I've noticed that small ones like that will tend to flop over when the plants upper section gets some weight to it. Since we start the plants on top of the soil. Sometimes the plant out grows the roots. Or at least that's what I've noticed about some. When you transplant them bury as much of the plant as possible. In the mean time just find some support for them.
You may also consider trimming down the larger leaf to stimulate root growth. The are many thread here that explain how to. Your plants look great.

bya1305

Oh ok cool..thank goodness..I was worried they might not survive..should those start getting adjusted to sunlight and ready for their final large pot? Some people go by plant height and some say big leaf size

Status
Not open for further replies.