Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What did you learn this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I learned that I could have planted Piloto closer than 30"x24". It is columnar, and I am willing to bet, at least in my climate, that my yield would have been much higher with more plants in the same space, say 18" x 24". Also, it would have withstood wind better.

I also learned that I should do air cured years and flue cured years. It's just a pain in the butt to try to orchestrate both.

Also, I learned that for those bottom lugs that get over matured are best cured rajangan style because it's very convenient. You don't need to have a whole lot of them to make it worth your while, so you can get them, several at a time, like one or two per per plant, before they get over ripe.

DistillingJim

I learnt that growing and processing your own tobacco is an achievable and highly enjoyable feat. Looking forward to next year!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Growing single types is a good one. I learned growing too many strains is a pain. Once I've tasted everything finally though I'll be able to pare it down for next spring.

I also learned that I don't have a curing problem, I had a low volume problem, the more you grow the easier it is to an extent.

I learned those s hooks I bought on Amazon to stalk cure are a winner.

That's all I can think of right now

wooda2008

I learned that even compost application is critical. It was the difference between 5 tiny leaves and 9 gigantic ones from my cornplanter.
I learned that proper plant spacing is almost as important.
Picking suckers cannot wait an extra day with YTB and silver river.
Next year I need to have a separate tobacco patch, away from the tomatoes.

This first year has been full of learning. I'm honestly surprised I didn't mess everything up and ruin all my leaf. In another couple years I might actually know what the heck I'm doing.

OldDinosaurWesH

Well, lets see.

My Sophomore year hasn't been as tough as my freshman year. That first year learning curve is pretty steep.
The second year learning curve isn't as steep, but there's still a whole lot to learn. Maybe by the time I'm in grad school I'll know what I'm doing.
More fertilizer turned out to be a good thing.
Connecticut Shade in the shade doesn't work very well.
Curing is part science and part art. I've gotten better, but still have a way to go.
There are more varieties out there than you can possibly grow.
There's always next year!

Wes H.

Oh, and tobacco growing is a lot of work!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There are more varieties out there than you can possibly grow.
If we estimate that there are about 3000 varieties of Nicotiana tabacum, and you plant 100 new and different varieties per year, then you can cover them all in about 30 years. I overdosed on 43 varieties one year. Now I try to keep it in the range of a dozen.

What I learned during my summer vacation: Imidacloprid in the transplant water makes life truly grand. Truly! I was reminded how much I hate aphids, when they began to colonize the suckers that were left standing. And I wasn't even planning to harvest that leaf. Aphids just make a mess of otherwise beautiful leaf. Spraying soapy water, and occasional hosing--both were becoming oppressive in their labor demands, especially with upright leaf on a stalk with close leaf nodes.

I would not suggest using the imidacloprid on veggies, nor later than the transplant water for tobacco seedlings. Its effect last for most of the growing season.

Bob the Imidapaler

OldDinosaurWesH

Bob:

As an OldDinosaur, I don't know if I have 30 years, and I certainly don't have the space or the back muscles. I'll just have to keep muddling along with eight to twelve.

Wes H.

Leftynick

I learned a lot this year. A beginner in the garden, I learn that I have to do raised bed. My country climate is hot and humid all year round means that even in hot season, there will be rain. Another thing that I learn is I need to prepare my garden bed better. I thought that the land have never been used for agriculture so I dont need to add anything to my soil. That is poor decision of me. My plant this year grow a bit when I put some fertilizer then it halted, until I add more fertilizer. I will add many compost, manure and fertilizer at the beginning of my season next grow. My plant also grow differently then other people, such as lower leaves until middle leaves ripen before the plant even flowers due to insufficient fertilizer. I also need fertilizer to get more strenght and flavor for my leaves too.
Then I learn that some variety are very hardy such as TN90 while other are not so (my Indonesian Corojo seed.) I also learn that paper pot is bad idea. I will plan better for next grow.

That's all I can think of. Will add later if I remember anything

Warman

I learned that I need to start focusing on varieties that have shorter growing seasons. Even a few weeks might make a huge difference. I am happy with how much my plants have grown but doubtful that I will prime any more than halfway up the plants before frost sets in :(

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Prime your good, mature green leaf before herd frost. Bring inside and pile in a cardboard box of a size where the leaf totally fills it up. Try to get as much in there as you can. If it has brown spots or very ripe spots this method will compost those spots so try not to use this leaf or put it all on the top of the pile. Place this box in the warmest place you can for a week then string the leaf up in the driest place you have. It should be mostly yellow at this point and you just want to dry it down ASAP now.

greenmonster714

I learned this year that sometimes plans fail. Circumstances and lifes ups and downs can sometimes cause failure beyond your control. I've learned that in the beginning one should start with less and be more patient. Have a backup plan. Ask more questions. Read more threads.

burge

I learned to buy my tobacco farmers are getting paid very little for there product and we need to support them.

OldDinosaurWesH

Warman:

What are You trying to grow for? Cigarettes, Cigars, Pipe? The members here can help you with suggestions for different types to try.

Wes H.

Warman

Warman:

What are You trying to grow for? Cigarettes, Cigars, Pipe? The members here can help you with suggestions for different types to try.

Wes H.

Only for cigars. This season was Flor Sumatra and a Havana strain.
Have grown others with varied results.
If anyone has suggestions for faster maturing varieties it would be appreciated. I have been planting based on what I wanted to taste rather than what I should be growing here.
thanks!
Warren

Warman

Prime your good, mature green leaf before herd frost. Bring inside and pile in a cardboard box of a size where the leaf totally fills it up. Try to get as much in there as you can. If it has brown spots or very ripe spots this method will compost those spots so try not to use this leaf or put it all on the top of the pile. Place this box in the warmest place you can for a week then string the leaf up in the driest place you have. It should be mostly yellow at this point and you just want to dry it down ASAP now.
Thanks smokes, it'll get to that for sure. I tried the first 2 primes in a plastic bin with the same concept. Worked not bad but holds in a lot of moisture so have to keep an eye on it.

Tutu

I learned a lot about germinating conditions and how to get conditions right for plants to move into the next seedling stage, given my climate. For instance, I've germinated Nostrano del Brenta for about six times in Indonesia. Now is the first time they seem to develop normally. High humidity may be somewhat of a challenge in the tropics, once you know what these little fellows like best, it's manageable

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Cardboard absorbs moisture, insulates and isn't a total seal so vapors get out. It works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.