Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lets see your Perique Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmax

Founding Member
30 more varieties...+those three. Put in each bag pound of tobacco. After one year we can taste. Lets do it, shall we?

BigBonner

Founding Member
30 more varieties...+those three. Put in each bag pound of tobacco. After one year we can taste. Lets do it, shall we?

My silage pile will only last until the last part of March so I can't do a year . The corn has been chopped and bedded down since the first of October . If I had added the tobacco to my pile when I first chopped it , I could get about 6 months in the silage pile .

I may be able to cut a slice in my silage plastic and dig a hole as deep as I could , the repack the silage and tape up the hole in my plastic and get 3 months of fermenting . I would probably only do a few pounds .

Dark Air , Dark fire , Shirey, Black Mammoth ,VA 309, Penn Red , Py Ky , Burley Red tips , Burley mid stalk , Havana big , Lonnies Havana , Maryland 609, Pa Wrapper , Ct Broadleaf ,Florida Sumatra , Silver river . Yellow twist bud, CT Shade ,Vuelta Abajo , Criollo , coroja , corojo 99, Bursa , Samson , Habano , Nostran Del Berenta ,Rustica (3), Prilep , Bright leaf, Amersfoort ,Besuki and Ottoman
A few on my list I have but will have to remember where I put them

I would probably do Burley ,Bright Leaf , Ct Broad leaf , Pa Wrapper , big Havana and a dark air . These would not be my better quality in case I messed up .

ChinaVoodoo

I wouldn't invest too much tobacco in an experiment that could potentially ruin it. There might be aromatic chemicals capable of permeating the plastic bag.

jojjas

My silage pile will only last until the last part of March so I can't do a year . The corn has been chopped and bedded down since the first of October . If I had added the tobacco to my pile when I first chopped it , I could get about 6 months in the silage pile .

I may be able to cut a slice in my silage plastic and dig a hole as deep as I could , the repack the silage and tape up the hole in my plastic and get 3 months of fermenting . I would probably only do a few pounds . .

I would not recommend that , you may end up with ruined corn silage pile , it is better to wait until next time you harvest silage .
Test only with wat you can throw away if it going wrong in some way , but pictures and some info how it work would be intresting

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
A rainy day today so I did an upgrade to my perique press. I replaced the oak presser board (the top) with a stainless steel one.

IMG_0658.jpg

I also welded 2 small stainless steel nuts on each side. In this way if I ever get the lid stuck I can thread the bolts into the top and pry it off. The pic shows 1 bolt inserted.

IMG_0662.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my set up. The stainless steel lid complements the 20 oz (600cc) stainless steel container. Everything can be sanitized very easily.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is impressive. Your target pressure should be between 35 and 50 psi (pounds per square inch) applied to the upper surface of the tobacco. [~240 to 340 kPa]. Multiply that times the surface area of the cylinder end to get the required weight to be applied. You can then estimate how firmly to crank down the press by using a bathroom scale.

Bob

Agro

Thank you all!
What kind of welder do you have?
A smallest welding inverter for small jobs and repairs

Very clean. If I'm not mistaken that was made to double as a cigar press?
Yes! So I thought to strengthen it ...

I would suggest a valve in the plug to help with release, and air escape. Like in a sausage maker.
Really good idea, thanks!

@deluxestogie
Thank you for the clarification, doing the math, i need 608 pounds (275 Kg)...

and sorry for my bad English

Giancarlo

Agro

Hello everyone,
back in this 3d to my second month of burley pressed for a small report, please the moderators to move this post if they deem it
inappropriate for this section.

Instead of the stainless steel jar originally purchased for this type of work, for my first pressing I wanted to fold it with a
polypropylene jar, just to have that transparency that allows me to see what is happening inside.
Unfortunately, it was difficult to find the right size jar slightly wider than my inox follower and in a material not too soft but not too
rigid with the risk of pressure cracks.
I say unfortunately because the only one found, has a floral print on the outside that covers the view a little :)

Jar_1.jpg

The jar in question has a a reinforcement rim around the outside margin of the bottom surface, so with a hole saw I made the seat to a
wooden base, so that the bottom of the container rests entirely on a plane.

Hole_saw.jpg

As indicated by Bob in his 3d, after a week I depressed, removed the leaves, and let them air for a couple of hours, an operation that I
performed with little difficulty with long kitchen tongs...

IMG_20200613_225439.jpg

I did the same after a month, but unlike the first time I had more difficulties;
The reabsorption of the liquid took a long time, and a lot of patience was required to untangle the pressed leaves.

IMG_20200613_222230.jpg

IMG_20200613_221426.jpg

IMG_20200727_220223.jpg

After letting it air for a few hours, encouraged by the scent, I repacked everything, and following Bob again, I added a new layer of
Burley.
IMG_20200811_230159.jpg

As I said, I am now in the second month of the first layer and in the first month of the second, the liquid is very thick and sticky, in
these two months I have only added the water needed to moisten the second layer.
I am aware that with the second layer the times are getting longer, but by now I was running :D
At this point, I ask your authoritative point of view if everything is going well.

Greetings,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That looks excellent, so far. With the second layer of added leaf, I would continue the pressing at least until that new layer has been pressed for 3 months. And I like the floral jar.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.