Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lets see your Perique Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
With everyone making their own Perique these days I thought it would be interesting to put everyone's photos of their perique press in one place.

Here's mine. I have two. A 1 liter oak barrel and an 8 oz stainless steel cup. When using the stainless steel cup I shred the tobacco first, then press. I can get almost 3 cups of shredded tobacco into it.

Perique Press.jpg

and

IMG_0484.jpg

jojjas

20161128_210450.jpg
I always try to keep thing´s as simple as i could
A 1 liter plastic bucket , a pvc puck and c-clamp ,and presto ,a perique press is born
The bag to the left is just even more simplified , just vacuum sealed wet leafs , and that also work´s

Chris A

Sorry to resurrect this older thread. I'm intrigued by the vacuum sealing method since I own a sealer.

Jojjas-Could you explain how wet you get the leaf? Shread first? How long in the bag? Room temperature OK?

Thanks!

Chris

jojjas

Soaking the leafs in a bucket of sterilised (boiled and let cool down to room temprataure) water , take them up and let them dry to real soggy (1 hour or so ). Not shredded and midribs intact , for easy handling when they are ready , folded and placed one by one in the bag , vacum suction to no air is left , seal the the bag and let it rest in roomtemprature min 3 months
In my opinion , i think i could detect a slight difference in flavour and aroma to a little bit sweeter apperance for vacum method , but that´s just what i think , report will be posted when lab-rats has try it :)

Smokin Harley

Soaking the leafs in a bucket of sterilised (boiled and let cool down to room temprataure) water , take them up and let them dry to real soggy (1 hour or so ). Not shredded and midribs intact , for easy handling when they are ready , folded and placed one by one in the bag , vacum suction to no air is left , seal the the bag and let it rest in roomtemprature min 3 months
In my opinion , i think i could detect a slight difference in flavour and aroma to a little bit sweeter apperance for vacum method , but that´s just what i think , report will be posted when lab-rats has try it :)

Interesting idea. No evaporation, no stink. So do you suppose it doesnt need to have a huge load of weight on it while it ferments?

Chris A

One last question. Most of what I have read talks about color cured leaf. All my leaf is fermented cigar tobacco from FTT. Will this Work? If not, what should I purchase or trade for?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You can use any leaf you want. Keep in mind some varieties will taste different that others. Some of the best Perique I've ever made was from Havana 263. I've made Perique from Lemon Virginia too but did not care for it. Currently, my favorite Perique is made from Semois.

Chris A

Thinking this through, any reason not to use my scraps from cigar production? Might be a little messy taking it out of the bag, and it's a mixture of many, many differently leaves. But sounds like a good way to use the unusable.

jojjas

Interesting idea. No evaporation, no stink. So do you suppose it doesnt need to have a huge load of weight on it while it ferments?
Not what I can understand in any way , it seems to work in any case , maybe Bob can explain why for us :confused:
The idea got i from that farmers do silage from grass , and to do that and get the process work they must reduce the air inside bale and stop air to get in and out
Both methods to make perique share one property , that air (oxygene ) is removed during the process and not can access the leafs when process is ongoing , otherwise that are two different ways to make it

BigBonner

Founding Member
Making silage , the silage will heat itself up from fermenting . I make silage from corn and in the winter time the steam rolls out of my silage pile when I am feeding my cattle .
When I make Perique in barrel I have not notice the tobacco getting warm . But when I bale tobacco and it is slightly high on moisture it will heat up down in my stacked pile of bales .

jojjas

Yeas you are right BB , i should have be more specific about what i mean
Both making silage and perique share the same process , it is an anaerobic process in both cases
Anaerobic mean whitout presence of oxygene ,
Starting a batch of perique occurs under water and there is no oxygen left for that microorganismes
to interfere the process
In a pile of silage there is an small amount oxygen available in the startup process , untill that amount
oxygen is consumed by the microorganisms , heat is generated as long as oxygene is available
So what mean in my post was, it´s basicly the same anaerobic process

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have heard of old timers putting tobacco in their silage pies to ferment . I don't know if they used plastic bags or wax paper when they did this . But they would place the tobacco down in the pile and leave it there until the pile was gone .
Silage produces carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitrogen dioxide (NO2) gas .
This is something I have wanted to do just to see if it works . I keep forgetting to put a bag of tobacco in my silage pile to ferment .

jojjas

Interesting . Why dont try both waxed paper and plastic bag to see how it works and whats the difference became , maybe you are on to somthing

BigBonner

Founding Member
Ok now which variety would be best ?? Burley , Dark air , Maryland or 30 more varieties that I have .

Status
Not open for further replies.