Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Type ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkthirty

Began reading this blog in December of 2016. Was intrigued and had to try growing. Started 400 seedlings of 4 different types, had them all marked. A couple of rogue stinkbugs clipped off 250 or so seedlings before succumbing to double sided tape. I replanted without considering the ramifications of curing and use. Contacted "Sustainable Seed", they advised me to ask for help here, because they didn't have a clue. I planted Burley 21 - Cuban Criollo 98 - Gold Leaf Orinoco - and Bursa, the Bursa is an easy tell, so no bursa leaf. I have a couple hundred plants to harvest before a freeze. Not much time left for that. If anyone can recognize these by leaf, it would be greatly appreciated! The large leaf is 33" X 18", was planted where the compost pile was last year.

ChinaVoodoo

It would be especially helpful if you had photos of the android plants. I think they shouldn't be impossible to tell apart.

ChinaVoodoo

Burley 21 will grow with a fat bottom with a lot of leaves starting down low. Orinoco and cc98 will have leaves more evenly spaced a they go up, with a significant size difference top to bottom. The Orinoco leaves will yellow significantly more than the cc98. The bursa, you know is more columnar, the size difference between bottom and top is not as significant, and they are wider and spade like.

Darkthirty

Tried to load a pic, got it as far as a folder and as a tag to the post. #1 son is in IT, I usually have him attempt to educate me.

Darkthirty

Burley 21 will grow with a fat bottom with a lot of leaves starting down low. Orinoco and cc98 will have leaves more evenly spaced a they go up, with a significant size difference top to bottom. The Orinoco leaves will yellow significantly more than the cc98. The bursa, you know is more columnar, the size difference between bottom and top is not as significant, and they are wider and spade like.

The Bursa are easy to discern, and there is one with a narrow leaf that twists and folds. The only differences between the other two that I could see is that one is more round and doesn't have a sharp point on the tip.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I could say that it looks like chinaVoodoo have right. I haven't growing Burley 21 my self (but I have growing alot of Burley variants that have Burley 21 as a parents and they use the be twice as long as they are wide). And you will find a lot of Orinoco variant (and alot of the tobacco have it in their Pedigree so it not always easy to separate them). But when I read what you have written I would say that ChinaVoodoo put the same name under the leaf's as I would have done..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe ChinaVoodoo's guesses are correct. Although I have grown none of those specific varieties, I do have one similar match: Criollo (Cuba) Ti 1376

Garden20160802_2219_CriolloTi1376_300_leafSize.jpg

I think the color is most helpful in distinguishing it from the similarly sized and shaped Bursa.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 22333 Here's a pic with Bursa on the right.
Thanks for posting the photo.

Bursa, like Samsun, Bafra and Trabzon, is petiolate (a mostly naked portion of stem at the base). I would describe Bursa as "spade" shaped, while Samsun, Bafra and Trabzon have more of a heart shaped leaf. The difficulty in identification is that the petiole may or may not have a laminar fringe, depending on a number of factors. The probable Bursa in the initial photo displayed a fringe on the petiole. In this latest photo, the petiole is nearly bare, and leaves no doubt about its identity.

Bob

Darkthirty

Thanks for posting the photo.

Bursa, like Samsun, Bafra and Trabzon, is petiolate (a mostly naked portion of stem at the base). I would describe Bursa as "spade" shaped, while Samsun, Bafra and Trabzon have more of a heart shaped leaf. The difficulty in identification is that the petiole may or may not have a laminar fringe, depending on a number of factors. The probable Bursa in the initial photo displayed a fringe on the petiole. In this latest photo, the petiole is nearly bare, and leaves no doubt about its identity.

Bob

They grew columnar and are the only one I could actually identify. My guess, left to right is Burley 21-Criollo 98-Gold Orinoco-Bursa. Been pile color curing, then hanging to air dry. I'll have to get about 2K leaves in before a killing frost.

Darkthirty

After handling 1K + leaves yesterday, the simplest differentiation cue seems to be the length of the stem from the true lamina. The problem is not having a photographic database for comparison.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.