Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

muzzleloader guys-

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I got an older Knight disc 209 inline ml the other day, and some MMP sabots that'll let me shoot my 45-70 cast lead.

The only reason I got it was to extend my season by a single week so I don't really want to get to involved in this. I've been reading and I think the powder I want to use is blackhorn 209. That is the most current, closest to smokeless I can run through this thing right? I don't want to worry about corrosive ammo, powder soaking up humidity etc. I want it to be the closest thing to a rifle I'm familiar with without starting a whole new hobby. Blackhorn will be the cheapest per shot and allow me to only have to worry about buying the sabots right? I got a free pack of the discs so that's probably a lifetime supply especially if I can reuse them.

In my reading I discovered I missed out on the Savage ml that took smokeless powder, sigh.

ChinaVoodoo

I got an older Knight disc 209 inline ml the other day, and some MMP sabots that'll let me shoot my 45-70 cast lead.

The only reason I got it was to extend my season by a single week so I don't really want to get to involved in this. I've been reading and I think the powder I want to use is blackhorn 209. That is the most current, closest to smokeless I can run through this thing right? I don't want to worry about corrosive ammo, powder soaking up humidity etc. I want it to be the closest thing to a rifle I'm familiar with without starting a whole new hobby. Blackhorn will be the cheapest per shot and allow me to only have to worry about buying the sabots right? I got a free pack of the discs so that's probably a lifetime supply especially if I can reuse them.

In my reading I discovered I missed out on the Savage ml that took smokeless powder, sigh.

lol. I was reading your post, wondering if you knew about the quasi-bolt action, smokeless, savage muzzle loader.

I can't help you out really. Primitive weapons is only some really specific places here. You can't even use a crossbow in a bow only season unless you have a disabled limb.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah we're similar too with the xbows and handicaps, I'll get into that too one day with a bow, that extends season by a full month so very worth it.

So looks like the blackhorn is my best bet after talking to some guys here and doing some more reading, Walmart carries it so should be good to go in December.

ChinaVoodoo

Yeah we're similar too with the xbows and handicaps, I'll get into that too one day with a bow, that extends season by a full month so very worth it.

So looks like the blackhorn is my best bet after talking to some guys here and doing some more reading, Walmart carries it so should be good to go in December.

My brother in law has an acreage about 25 minutes from my house. Hunting is permitted. There's a non-draw-open season there for whitetail, mule deer, and even moose. Alas, it's bow only.

ChinaVoodoo

I prefer venison. Most people prefer moose though. Depending on the animal and the processing, some people wouldn't know it wasn't beef. The cow moose my friends and I shot was dry aged for a couple months. It was tender enough to cut with a fork, raw or cooked. The aging, which involved a lot of dehydration concentrated the flavors though. It was like a really rich beef with a moderate gaminess, and a slight beef-liver taste. I've had other moose. A co-worker served me a bull moose steak. It tasted like beef, and was a little tough, and oddly more filling than beef. Less fat, maybe. Oh yeah. Ground moose is pretty much the same as beef. I'd rather have moose than lamb.

OldDinosaurWesH

Interesting. I'd never had Lamb until I was in my thirties. The very first taste reminded me of deer. We have a lot of Elk around here. Elk is more reminiscent of beef in my limited experience eating game. I've eaten Bear once, when I was a kid, and all I remember was that it was very greasy. Than is the Black Bear, not the Grizzly, or brown bear. Thankfully, we don't have Grizzlies in our mountains. Those guys in Montana and Alaska can keep 'em.

Good quality beef is far too readily available in the store to bother with all that hunting stuff. I'll leave the hunting to the folks that enjoy that kind of activity.

Wes H.

OldDinosaurWesH

Yes, well...they don't tax the heck out of beef. At least not yet. At $8.00 or so a pack, and rolling tobacco at $60.00 for a carton equivalent...What can I say. I have known a number of people who have quit not for personal reasons but because they couldn't afford to buy it any more. Big tobacco is very efficient. They can produce, and market a pack of cigarettes for $1.00 and still make a profit.

And don't get me started on politicians and bureaucrats! I am strongly opposed to any kind of social engineering experiments being conducted by the government. To heck with them! The government's job is to secure the borders and make sure people are being honest. Nothing more.

Wes H.

BarG

Founding Member
Instead of muzzle loader I broke down and bought a crossbow this year after bow season was ovr. I always shot recurve prior and thought it was cheating. heh heh new inovations that allow us to harvest our food sources in an economical way to feed our familys is anything but. I applaud the extended season for muzzle loaders as much as I applaud the early season for bow hunters.

Smokin Harley

lol. I was reading your post, wondering if you knew about the quasi-bolt action, smokeless, savage muzzle loader.

I can't help you out really. Primitive weapons is only some really specific places here. You can't even use a crossbow in a bow only season unless you have a disabled limb.

depends on state laws. I used to live in IL where what you said USED TO BE true. a few years ago they allowed crossbow use same as any other bow. IL is all about revenue and I think they realized that if they relaxed that one it would encourage more people to buy hunting licenses and permits.

Smokin Harley

I used to live on venison. Always had a freezer and towards the coming of a new season ,to make freezer space, Id make whatever i had left into sausage and jerky . Only ML rifle I own is a Traditions .54 cal Hawken ,shot hand poured minnies with Pyrodex 4F.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I didn't even see one during ml week... I'm all set up now though. Next I need a bow

Status
Not open for further replies.