Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pest and Possible side effect from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

bya1305

So I brought up the little white bugs I've been seeing on my plants since I've been acclimating them to outside in my grow log. When they are not squished, they are thin white and jump/fly/hover when you go to touch them. Someone suggested thrips. I finally got some pictures today

20171019_182620.jpg20171019_182619.jpg20171019_182605.jpg20171019_182439.jpg20171019_182426.jpg20171019_182406.jpg

I brought them in as the sun was going down and then I went to the store for a couple hours and when I came back I noticed one of the plants had this:

20171019_204112.jpg20171019_204102.jpg20171019_204050.jpg20171019_204047.jpg

I don't know if that's disease or if it was too much sun exposure, was hoping someone here might be able to chime in

Tutu

Probably not yet used to the sun, got a little burn on the tip of the leaf and the burned part fell off. Unlikely to be disease

greenmonster714

Here's some examples of sunburnt tobacco. Here

Sometimes that can be overwatering or not so good drainage.

The bugs....I'd research about thrips like mentioned earlier. Kinda looks like them if ya do a image search on google.

OldDinosaurWesH

bya1305:

Young tobacco plants need to be "Hardened off" before you put them outside permanently. Put them out in the sun preferably in a protected area where they can get partial sun during the day. Bring them in at night. Take them back out in the day, and continue this cycle for a week. Don't give them full sun during this period, as they will suffer and possibly die from too much sunlight. This will give the young plants time to acclimatize and strengthen their stems and thicken their leaves.

I put mine out in a protected area that has cover from a tree. They get about three hours of direct sun in the morning, and about 5 or 6 hours of filtered (by the tree) sun during the rest of the day. Most greenhouse plants need to be hardened off before you plant them in the garden or the transplantation shock will kill them. This applies to most plants, not just tobacco. In two years, and over three hundred tobacco plants I have lost one plant to transplantation shock. In my chili pepper growing days I treated my chili's the same way, and had good results.

Wes H.

P.S. This is why I like square pots. Those round ones rattle around when you handle the flats and...whoops there goes one on the ground splat! I have lost a few that way. I learned my lesson.

Bex

We call your little white bugs ‘whitefly’. Chances are that when your plants start to blossom, you will also have the delightful little green aphids, as well. For myself, when I grow vegetables, etc., I make a mix of a small squeeze of dishwashing liquid into a spray bottle (usually the size of a cleaned out window cleaner bottle or similar), filling the rest with water, and giving a good spray on the leaves and blossoms, which kills off these little critters. Be sure to check the underside of your leaves as well.

bya1305

Wes:

Yea I definitely have learned with the cups and falling over..very annoying..I have since switched to 3.5" square plastic pots from a local hydroponics store for all of my plants after group 1/2..the patio gives them a couple hours of sun in the morning..I usually have to wake up and deal with my kids so I don't get them back outside until around 9am..they get sun until about 11:30 and then the patio is shaded..they get about another hour or so before sundown..should I set up some netting or something that would blot out sun partially in a given spot for the rest of the day?

OldDinosaurWesH

Use your judgement. Small seedlings will only tolerate a few hours of direct sun per day. Maybe three or four. So your idea of netting or snow fencing might be a good answer if you don't have a tree handy. This phenomenon will only last for a week or so, and like kids, they eventually grow out of it.

Good luck and good growing.

Wes H.

Last edited:

ChinaVoodoo

A square is 1.27 times the area of a circle with the same width, so square pots have around 25% more room for plant roots, than cups (or round pots) do while taking up the same amount of space.

GeraldMcLane

Many times a pests bite may cause severe infection and health issues in a person. Therefore taking proper precautions are necessary. Consult the professionals if required.

OldDinosaurWesH

Speaking of pests...

I discovered that some kind of critter has been nibbling on one of my immature squashes. Lets see...we have Opossums, Raccoons, and of course lots of squirrels around here. I'm guessing this is probably the work of an Opossum. Any opinions?

Tobacco seedlings 8-29-18 veggie squash nibbled.jpg

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
rock_hyrax_whiskers.jpg

I took a little bite out of your stupid squash. So, what are you going to do about it?

Seriously, if you feel like doing the work, search Google images using the pattern "opossum incisor". My guess would be rabbit, or groundhog, since the bite marks are similar to some of my "sampled" vegetables.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

Well...I'm not that concerned about it. Around here, Cabbage Loopers are the critters you have to look out for. And Coddling Moths. And neither of these bother tobacco. But if you are growing anything in the cabbage family or trying to grow Apples, look out! A modest nibble on one squash isn't going to make or break me.

I've never seen a wild rabbit here in town, but that only means I've never actually seen one here in town. I've seen plenty of them out in the country.

Thanks for the ideas Bob.

Wes H.

Status
Not open for further replies.