Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sweetest tasting orientals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clackerbag

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas for the sweetest tasting strains for cigarette blends?
this year I grew xanthi, japan 8 and Yenidje with xanthi being the most fragrant and sweetest. I planted at 8" spacing for the xanthi and Yenidje and 1' for the Japan with the Japan getting to around 5'. All we're primed and allowed to flower.
I'm thinking that the Japan 8 needs a bit of aging as its still got a lot of bite compared to the other two and is very different, but I'm sure it will come round as it has a pleasant initial taste.
Any ideas are most welcome
Thanks

ChinaVoodoo

Canik is the sweetest and most fragrant oriental tobacco I've grown, and I got more leaf per plant as compared with Yenidge.

I believe Japan 8 is mislabeled as an oriental. I am convinced it is a dark air tobacco. Maybe science will say it's an oriental, but you can't smoke or blend it like it is, so dark air it will remain in my mind.

Kiln it or give it a couple years of age, and you'll see some significant changes in the smoothness and aroma. Now, I open my crate of it after two years of natural aging and it starting to smell like a box of cigar leaf. At first, I was like omg, what am I gonna do with all this tobacco? We grew it with 3' spacing and got 6' plants with about 4 to 5oz per plant. It was harsh and tasted strange, but now it's much better. I'm quite glad that we grew it after all. I look forward to rolling cigarillos with it.

Clackerbag

Canik is now on the list...
I was wondering about Japan 8 but it was described as extremely sweet on sky's site so took the chance. Like you say, I'm sure it will be good with some age.
i also grew silver river, monte calme and Vesta 63 to blend with the orientals ( or not), but all will benefit from a bit of a rest.
The only other thing I need to find is a bright leaf variety that is resistant to PVY as the vesta succumbed early. The silver river was marginally affected but the monte calme brushed it off. The silver river was the most productive

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Canik is the sweetest and most fragrant oriental tobacco I've grown, .

Canik is the absolute most bland, tasteless Turkish I've ever grown. If you still have some maybe we can trade samples?
Where did you source your seeds?.. They might be from me...:rolleyes:

About 10 years ago I received from GRIN some Canik and some Maden seeds. They had 2 "varieties" of each. The Maden was high sucrosester and the Canik was zero.. or almost zero. I sent seeds from my grow to something like 2.3 million people.. give or take a few....

Clackerbag

Canik is the absolute most bland, tasteless Turkish I've ever grown. If you still have some maybe we can trade samples?

About 10 years ago I received from GRIN some Canik and some Maden seeds. They had 2 "varieties" of each. The Maden was high sucrosester and the Canik was zero.. or almost zero. I sent seeds from my grow to something like 2.3 million people.. give or take a few....

Thats a lot of stamps...
do you know if the same Maden with the high sucroester is the one for sale at sky's?

ChinaVoodoo

I got my seed from Skychaser.

Sucroester isn't sweet, so that's not what you're looking for. They are used in baking for emulsification. I don't know what they contribute to tobacco.
https://www.modernistpantry.com/sucrose-esters.html
I hardly got any Canik but that's fine because I'm not sure I like it. The aroma of pressure cooked black Cavendish Canik is petty incredible though. But it doesn't burn and it produces a black ash. In general, my closely spaced Yenidge, Lataquie, and Canik had overripe leaf at the bottom and under matured leaf at the top at the end my my growing season. Neither turned out well. My Bursa with conventional spacing grew very well, turned out alright, but it's super high nicotine and the flavor is simply ok-kind of like stale ice cubes. I'm going to avoid Orientals for some years until I want to brave finding one that grows well here and tastes good, and turns out the way it should. Maybe the bursa family-marmaris? is where to start, and to rajangan cure it rather than air cure it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Sucroester isn't sweet, so that's not what you're looking for.

True, But one of the determining factors in how good a tobacco tastes is the ratio of sucrosester to nicotine. Taste tests (as reported by Tso) show that a 5:1 S.E to Nic ratio are ideal.

Clackerbag, I do not know what version Sky has.

ChinaVoodoo

True, But one of the determining factors in how good a tobacco tastes is the ratio of sucrosester to nicotine. Taste tests (as reported by Tso) show that a 5:1 S.E to Nic ratio are ideal.

Clackerbag, I do not know what version Sky has.

Polygon states the grin number on his website and I assume it's the same as Skychaser's.
https://translate.googleusercontent.../canik&usg=ALkJrhgNv-yIvkPhxwzQqZbwxxCECdza2g

It corresponds with this entry and it has 6.7 sucrose esters.
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1376793

OldDinosaurWesH

Remembering that local soils and growing conditions contribute significantly to your finished product.

Wes H.

OldDinosaurWesH

I grew 12 Ismir Ozbas this year. I have kilned one small string of lower leaf. I was underwhelmed. It was fairly bland and not particularly aromatic. Maybe the later stuff that was higher up on the stem will be better. I'll have to wait and see about that. So far anyway, the Prilep I got from WLT has much more aroma and flavor. And of course, WLT prices are pretty reasonable for what you get.

I grew a Burley type this year that was highly aromatic. It was called "Golden Burley" When it came out of the kiln, it had a nice floral aroma and a mild taste. I got the seed from northwoodseeds. GB isn't a large plant, and I'm still not sure what the yields are going to be like, but I would grow it again based on it's nice aroma and mild taste alone. The leaves are long, up to 30", and skinny, about 5". Mine looked a lot like a Palm tree with very short trunks and ended up between 5 and 6 feet tall at the crow's foot.

Just an idea...

Wes H.

Clackerbag

Thanks Wes, an excellent idea...

all recomendations are welcome as others experience is exactly what I need

its on on the grow list for next year. Also going to try prilep and Herzegovina flor and will document with a grow log.
thanks

OldDinosaurWesH

Mostly the scent. It didn't have a strong floral flavor. Overall, a mildly flavored tobacco. Certainly not strong enough for cigar or pipe. Unless you want to tone down your cigar or pipe tobacco, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.