Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2017 side grow - Leftynick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

I have a doubt in my mind. I found some mention online that using too much manure will impart certain taste to my tobacco. I remember that Tutu's homegrown did have some coconut hint in the taste and he is using coco peat for his grow. Should I worry about the taste? I know how burning manure smell because my landlord burn his goat manure every 3 day in his goat penn and I might say the smell is not pleasant to me.

greenmonster714

I use a lot of horse and rabbit crap on my tomatoes and though I've never dined on either variety of sheeet. Ive never had any foul or should I say bowel taste from them.

I did a few searches on Google about goat npk. There's a lot of good things mentioned about it. I'd use it if I had a goat. You can even make some goat poop soup and apply it in liquid form. It is a pretty mild fertilizer much like rabbit poo is.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the region of the city of Xanthi, Greece, traditionally the goat herds were led to the newly emerging, springtime grasses on the unplanted tobacco fields, so that they would fertilize the ground with feces and urine, in advance of transplanting the Xanthi tobacco.

Bob

Leftynick

Update
P_20171221_141516.jpg
TN90 have shown some rapid growing lately. It will catch up with the one grown in pot.
P_20171221_141520.jpg
Cherry Red still taking it sweet time growing. I really hope it will grow to full size plant this season.
P_20171221_141525.jpg
My rustica plant damaged by my landlord cows. Thankfully the growth tip wasnt damaged. It will take a while to recover, but I think it will manage.
P_20171222_202737.jpg
my pot grown plant are growing nicely. I think this will be the largest it will grow due to constraint of container.
Here a comparison pic.
P_20171222_202811.jpg

the one I suspected infected with curly disease seems like only have abnormal growth on that particular leaf. The other leaves grow just fine.
P_20171222_202836.jpg

I think I will keep using manure as fertilizer. It shouldn't effect the taste much. However, I still think there would be a different in taste among my pot grown and garden grown plant. It will be nice to do taste comparison test once it fully cured.

Charly

It grows nicely :)
Your abnormal leave may have been damaged by some bugs or the pot, and when damaged they grow differently.

Leftynick

It grows nicely :)
Your abnormal leave may have been damaged by some bugs or the pot, and when damaged they grow differently.

Yeah I think so too. And also maybe caused by the soil unbalanced nutrient.

And also, I forgot to update, all of my oriental variety this year failed to germinate. I think maybe something wrong with my germination process. So no oriental for me this season. The cigar variety germinate fine, but the growth is too slow. It is slower than when I start Cherry Red and TN90. 3 cigar varieties, Coroja, Corojo and Criollo Cuba.

Leftynick

Update pic
P_20171229_071254.jpg
P_20171229_071259.jpg
Crushed about 20 hornworms yesterday. I think last season there are none on my crop. It must be very tasty this time.
Lastly, my rustica.
P_20171229_071305.jpg
It already yellowing. I hope it will grow bigger than this.

Leftynick

Almost too good to be true. This is what I learn when started planting tobacco. Today, I pull out one of the largest plant in my garden because of the curly diseases. It started last week when my cat decided to use the leaf of that plant as their toilet paper. Peaving a big pile of cat feces on my tobacco. Few days after that, the curly disease started. Then after I pulled out that one, the neighbouring plant start to show early symptom, which of course, the second largest plant I have.
P_20180101_102222.jpg
This is the spot for the pulled plant. Forgot to take pic of the plant before I pulled it.
P_20180101_102231.jpg
size comparison
P_20180101_102239.jpg
This is the sign of disease. Notice the new leaves has some black spot on the tip if you can see it. I dont know whether the hornworms that make refuge there or the disease, but new growth seems to ba affected. If there is no new horizontal growth these few days, it maybe the curly disease.

However, the rest of the farm seems unafected. Yet.
P_20180101_102315.jpg
on the other side of the garden, looks like the 401Cherry Red are affected by different kind of disease. I think it is frenching, as the curly virus directly affect the horizontal growth of the tobacco.

However, thank god my potted plant do unusually well this time.
P_20180101_102425.jpg
I thought the potted plant will be the backup. With thing turn out like this, I think my garden plant become the backup for my potted plant.

Leftynick

Finally, first real harvest. First priming from my container grow 401 Cherry Red.

P_20180104_191521.jpg

Last year none of my plant get even close to this size. Looks like I will have a decent harvest from 1 gallon pot. All these leaves are yellowing on the plant so I decided to harvest them.

I will color cure this and try rajangan cure if there is enough sun. The raining season finally start here. Quite late, but it is flooding all over in my country. Usually raining season start on December, but this year the rain start from 1st January. Not very good for my garden plant but container plant seems unaffected.

Ouh yeah, I put A4 size paper for size comparison

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice.

Some US members may not be familiar with the size of A4.

A4vsLetter.jpg

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

That's because the US never converted to Metric. We were supposed to - back in the 1970's - but it never happened. Too much resistance.

Wes H

Leftynick

That's because the US never converted to Metric. We were supposed to - back in the 1970's - but it never happened. Too much resistance.

Wes H

Yeah I read about that. No economical benefit, they say. It does make it hard for people like me because most of internet references I use, come from US. For example, when I learn to make my own pipe, I have to go back and forth in google to change the measurement to metric. It especially hard when you do fractional like 1/8 inches instead decimal point. And until now I do not understand the Fahrenheit system for temperature. Haha. Thank god for google.

Anyway, it is raining non-stop here.
P_20180105_091934.jpg
P_20180105_091938.jpg
No flooding this time. But the growth will be affected. Everytime it is raining hard, the plant will wilt the day after due to too much water.
P_20180105_092019.jpg
Container plant is unaffected by the rain and keep growing taller and bigger. I think the rain help it grow because smaller pot means I need to water the plant frequently. Rain just help me do that.

P_20180105_092032.jpg
My cigar varieties taking it sweet time to grow. I suspect the lack of sunlight make it slower.
The front is Criollo Cuba, middle is Corojo 99 and the least line is Coroja. I have some Little Dutch germinated too, and if it can catch up with these seedlings, I will include it in this year list

Charly

Great !
I am happy your plants are growing well this year ;)

You are right, it takes time to learn how to grow tobacco correctly, every year I understand it better and I see things that I've been doing wrong, and each time I say to myself : next year I will do better ! :)

Leftynick

My first blend. I know I rushed it but couldn't help it. Consist of TN90 mud lug leaves air cured, 401 Cherry Red first prime rajangan cure and 401 Cherry Red first prime oven cure. I add some Tutu's Xanthy sun cure leaves for added dimension. The oven cure is an experiment to see whether I can make flue cure leaves using my oven. It does the job, but not so well. Smelled the same as flue cure leaves Tutu send me, with a bit of twist. Predominantly citrus, with hint of hay. Tutu's flue cure leaves doesn't have hay smell. The TN90 air cured is not fermented, so it is kind of raw. The rajangan is almost the same with the oven cured, but have much more hay smell to it. I mix it all, then I toasted all in my oven over very low heat for 45 minutes, until it smelled nice and sweet. Smoked nice and good, but doesnt burn very well. The rajangan cured leaves are not really burning, and leave a black ash, instead of white. The taste is okay, mostly I just taste the Cherry Red with TN90 gives off some creamy taste to it, and the Xanthy lend some taste in the background. What I dont like is it gave too much hay like taste, that I suspect from the sun cured rajangan. I think the taste will improve if I let it age in the jar for few weeks.
Here some pic of the tobacco in the jar.
1515302413552-1384236245.jpg
will try this in a pipe to see whether it gives off different perspection.

The nicotine is suffice for smoking it in cigarette case. Mind you, all of these are lower leaves. I can only imagine how those upper leaves position nicotine content are.

Status
Not open for further replies.