Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2017 side grow - Leftynick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

Started some seed last week. This will be my side grow for this year. It is usually raining season during this time of year, so I will try some raised bed to grow these. 3 varieties that I choose are TN90, 401 Cherry Red and Sultan Albanian rustica. I have prepared the bed by tilling and added plenty of half composted goat manure. Only started 1 garden bed so I planned about 2 rustica plant, 3 TN90 plant and 4 401 Cherry red plant. Hopefully my technique will be better this time. This grow is to focus more on growing full sized plant rather than going for more plant. Planned for better spacing, better fertilizing (I have all I can access goat manure thanks to my landlord) and raised bed.
P_20171023_235622.jpg

Charly

Re: 2017 side grow

I am sure you will be more successfull this time !
With raised beds, manure and good spacing, there is no reason it won't grow correctly ;)
Good luck with your new grow :)

ChinaVoodoo

Yeah, you never know what the weather will bring. Cooler temperatures might result in better growth. There is a bell curve for optimum temperature.

Leftynick

With raised beds, manure and good spacing, there is no reason it won't grow correctly ;)

Thank you Charly.

Yeah, you never know what the weather will bring. Cooler temperatures might result in better growth. There is a bell curve for optimum temperature.

I thought tobacco supposed to like hot weather. Here in Malaysia the problem is not the temperature, but the raining non stop all year round. That is why the farmer plant tobacco during dry season. But this year there are no dry season. It just keep raining almost every week. Except for this couple of week. What I hear there is a storm in Philippines that pull all of monsoon rain cloud out of here. Usually, this time of year it is already started raining.

Tutu

Sounds like Javanese 2016 over there. Almost not a single day without rain, all year long....

Gavroche

Sure Charly really sure ?... it's your method ?...:-D

Charly

Sure Charly really sure ?... it's your method ?...:-D

Well... with good spacing and good fertilization, I ended with really big plants :)
If I had no problem with PVY this year, I would have too much leaves... I wouldn't know where to put them ;)
... but I had problems with PVY, so I have enough empty space for next years grow :D :D :D

Leftynick

Quick update on my plant.

Last week:
P_20171116_065955.jpg
P_20171116_070001.jpg

This week:
P_20171121_181258.jpg
P_20171121_181338.jpg

Getting better with seed starting process. However the rustica still have difficulties to survive. The last picture is my remaining rustica, 2 Sultan Albanian and single Limonka. The rest is TN90 and 401 Cherry Red.

I am considering on starting some Corojo 99, Yenidje and Criollo Cuba seed for next year grow. A little early I know but I think I should manage. I will be using last year bed for this grow, with just a few months rest. I know it will effect my grow, but just couldn't find the time to till new bed with the baby and all. Will add a lot of manure and mulch using grass. Hope it will work out somehow.

Tutu

Although the Rustica's are difficult in our climate, they should do fine after they pass the stage that yours are in right now. I hope they'll hang on in there!

Leftynick

New updates. Seems like forever I havent update here. Sorry but work and life catches up. However, few of pictures first.

26 Nov
P_20171127_181707.jpg

The seedlings grow very fast once I put it under direct sunlight for few hour a day. The soil I used is mix of compost, manure and black soil in 1:1:1 ratio.

Yesterday, I started transplant the seedling to soil.
P_20171204_081411.jpg
My method of putting grass as mulch is a success. It makes a rich soil and the water retention decreases as the mulch invite worms, making the soil somewhat fluffy. But the additional soil I add before putting the grass mulch wasn't even so I have some low point in the bed.

I used 24 inch spacing this time and the bed only suitable for 20 plants. Last year I put 26 plants on the same bed.

I have my Rustica in another bed, the one that has good drainage.
P_20171204_081516.jpg

I also plant my backup in 1 gallon container. If any of my current seedling dies, I will replace with these. I everything fine, I will let then grow in these containers.
P_20171204_081748.jpg
The only problem I noticed is that I transplant them too early. The root are not extensive enough. I was too excited to see the growth spurt that I rushed them to the ground. I think if I give them proper haircut, and leave them for another week or two it will be better.

I also have started some Corojo 99, Criollo Cuba, Coroja, Bitlis and Duzce seed. So far only Criollo and Coroja germinated fine. Corojo 99 have very little germination rate while Bitlis and Duzce seems like taking a while to germinate. I forget to take picture of these seedlings.

I am taking a risk here because December until January usually have the heaviest rainfall. Few places in my country already flooding. However these past few weeks the weather look very promising, with rain every couple of day.

Edit: oh yeah, my current plant numbers are:
13 401 cherry red on ground
10 401 cherry red in 1 gallon container
13 TN90 on ground
10 TN 90 in 1 gallon container
2 Sultan Albanian rustica on ground
1 Limonka rustica on ground

Charly

Very good !
I wish you good luck with the weather and hope you will get some good and healthy plants in your raised beds ;)

Leftynick

A week and a half update.

P_20171215_185231.jpg
P_20171215_185235.jpg
All of the tobacco are growing nicely, except few of them were devastated being step on by my landlord cows. I had to replace a couple of plant due to severely damaged plant. The one on the ground look like growing in much slower pace than the one in the container.

P_20171215_185304.jpg
However, one plant in container show sign of curly disease. I wouldn't thow it away until I am sure though.

My rustica plants also growing slowly.
P_20171215_185238.jpg

I added each of them another dose of manure last week, and planning to continue doing so every week for another 3 weeks. Then I will leaves them alone, except if there is heavy rain, I will add some more manure.

I think the one on the ground are growing much slower due to they grow their root first rather than the one in the container, where the root are already set their limit of space. Hopefully by next week all my plant will switch to overdrive mode and grow much bigger.

The weather are also helpful. I get few drizzle every couple of days so I dont need to worry about watering them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's not unusual for tobacco transplants to appear to not be growing for the first two or three weeks after transplanting. Then they should outperform those in the pots.

Bob

Leftynick

P_20171216_173736.jpg
P_20171216_173741.jpg

This is the plant that I suspect to have the curly disease. Looks like the newer leaf is growing normally. The variety is TN90, which is said to have resistance to TMV. I will let this grow few more leaves before deciding to throw it away. Hopefully it wasn't the disease though.

Status
Not open for further replies.