Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2017 side grow - Leftynick

Started some seed last week. This will be my side grow for this year. It is usually raining season during this time of year, so I will try some raised bed to grow these. 3 varieties that I choose are TN90, 401 Cherry Red and Sultan Albanian rustica. I have prepared the bed by tilling and added plenty of half composted goat manure. Only started 1 garden bed so I planned about 2 rustica plant, 3 TN90 plant and 4 401 Cherry red plant. Hopefully my technique will be better this time. This grow is to focus more on growing full sized plant rather than going for more plant. Planned for better spacing, better fertilizing (I have all I can access goat manure thanks to my landlord) and raised bed.
    P_20171023_235622.jpg

1 members have Nominated this post.

Re: 2017 side grow

I am sure you will be more successfull this time !
    With raised beds, manure and good spacing, there is no reason it won't grow correctly
    Good luck with your new grow

Yeah, you never know what the weather will bring. Cooler temperatures might result in better growth. There is a bell curve for optimum temperature.
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    With raised beds, manure and good spacing, there is no reason it won't grow correctly
    Thank you Charly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    Yeah, you never know what the weather will bring. Cooler temperatures might result in better growth. There is a bell curve for optimum temperature.
    I thought tobacco supposed to like hot weather. Here in Malaysia the problem is not the temperature, but the raining non stop all year round. That is why the farmer plant tobacco during dry season. But this year there are no dry season. It just keep raining almost every week. Except for this couple of week. What I hear there is a storm in Philippines that pull all of monsoon rain cloud out of here. Usually, this time of year it is already started raining.

Sounds like Javanese 2016 over there. Almost not a single day without rain, all year long....

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    Sure Charly really sure ?... it's your method ?...:-D

Quote Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
    Sure Charly really sure ?... it's your method ?...:-D
    Well... with good spacing and good fertilization, I ended with really big plants
    If I had no problem with PVY this year, I would have too much leaves... I wouldn't know where to put them
    ... but I had problems with PVY, so I have enough empty space for next years grow

Re: 2017 side grow - Leftynick

Quick update on my plant.

Last week:
    P_20171116_065955.jpg
    P_20171116_070001.jpg

This week:
    P_20171121_181258.jpg
    P_20171121_181338.jpg

Getting better with seed starting process. However the rustica still have difficulties to survive. The last picture is my remaining rustica, 2 Sultan Albanian and single Limonka. The rest is TN90 and 401 Cherry Red.

I am considering on starting some Corojo 99, Yenidje and Criollo Cuba seed for next year grow. A little early I know but I think I should manage. I will be using last year bed for this grow, with just a few months rest. I know it will effect my grow, but just couldn't find the time to till new bed with the baby and all. Will add a lot of manure and mulch using grass. Hope it will work out somehow.

It's all looking good Lefty. A few more months and I get to see sent seed as well but a lot fewer this year.

Although the Rustica's are difficult in our climate, they should do fine after they pass the stage that yours are in right now. I hope they'll hang on in there!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast