Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bottom leaves turning yellow on 6 week old plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

bya1305

Just wanted to see if anyone could weigh in on my leaves changing color. I'm not sure if they are just wanting to graduate to a bigger bucket, receiving too much fertilizer or too much water. Hopefully nothing more dreadful. Here are a couple of pics

20171028_162600.jpg20171028_162606.jpg20171028_162617.jpg

I'm racing to get my garage grow area ready so I can transplant to their final pots. Hopefully by tomorrow late afternoon

OldDinosaurWesH

I agree with ChinaVoodoo, your plants need more nitrogen. Most commercial potting soils don't have a lot of nutrients in them to start with, I boost mine with a few prills of Calcium Nitrate per pot.

Wes H.

ChinaVoodoo

I make my own mix. If my memory serves me correctly, this year, I mixed 1 part vermiculite, 1 part perlite, 2 parts sea soil compost, and 2 parts, ummm, either potting soil, pro mix, or peat moss, I don't recall. Point is, it was 1/3 compost. I didn't have any issues with nitrogen deficiency.

bya1305

Oh ok cool. I've been giving them water soluble food. I guess I was being paranoid about giving them too much and didn't give them enough.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
While I can't disagree with all the advice given, I will point out that the most common cause of yellowing in potted tobacco is over-watering. It's okay to allow the soil to become fairly dry, except with tiny seedlings.

Bob

greenmonster714

Another way to check water needs is to pick up the plant when it's been watered fully and judge the weight. Then pick it up when it's dry and you'll get an idea of when it needs water. I agree with the above answers too. They do need nutrients even in the early stages.... gradually.

Status
Not open for further replies.