Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

hottest pepper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
My wife likes ghost peppers, finds them spicy but not too hot.

What pepper can I grow next year that will knock her out and defeat her taste buds and gi tract?

I have the brown thumb of death for peppers, bonus points for extra productive. Do I grow one of the jolakias? Something else?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Pure capsaicin has a Scoville heat rating of 15,000,000. The super-hot peppers are in the 2,000,000 range. Habanero is in the 300,000 range, with most of the peppers that normal people actually eat falling below that--well below that.

List of top 10 world's hottest peppers (2017): https://pepperhead.com/top-10-worlds-hottest-peppers/

Have you thought about where you will live, after the reckoning?

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

Wow! That's one spicy woman. Do you kiss her after she consumes ghost peppers?

The ghost pepper is one of a whole new group of peppers that have been created in more recent years by crossing Capsicum Chinense (the scotch bonnets) and Capsicum Frutescens (the Tabasco and some of its relatives). The Naga Jolokia is one of those newer ones that falls into that ghost pepper group. They are ugly evil looking little things. These things are substantially (3 to 4 times) hotter than the Red Savina Habanero, and make a Jalapeno look like cookies and milk. Look on the internet and find a hot sauce that uses one of these peppers. Hot sauces get their exceptional heat from fermentation. If that won't slow her down than nothing will. She must have a Cast Iron stomach, or maybe that's a stainless steel stomach. I tried a small piece of a Naga Jolokia once, and boy howdy! Pure unadulterated heat.

Chili Peppers get their heat from Capsaicin oil. Pure Capsaicin oil is 5 - 6 million heat units on the Scoville scale. The bulk of the Capsaicin oil is contained in the gill and seed structures of the fruit. If you clean the pepper of all the gills and seeds, most of the heat will disapear. (That being a relative statement) Also, Police and Prisons use O.C. spray (Oleoresin Capsaisin) for riot control. Typically O.C. spray is "diluted" down to about 1.5 million heat units. If you have ever been hit in the face with this stuff, you are in pain for quite a while.

Chili peppers love heat and lots of sunshine. They also love long growing seasons. I don't know how they would fare in Vermont. And as is the case with tobacco, localized soils and growing conditions make a major difference. Check out the University of New Mexico's website and see what the latest research is on these peppers. I haven't gone looking at chili pepper seed in a long time, but I have gotten exotic pepper seeds from a catalog called "Seeds of Change."

Wes H.

greenmonster714

I thought the Carolina reaper was hotter than the ghost peppers. I love spicy but the ones mentioned in this thread are way outta my taste bud tolerance.

OldDinosaurWesH

I thought gas warfare was banned under the Geneva convention? What's next Mustard Gas peppers?

Whew!

Wes H.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Thanks guys, looks like it's the Carolina reaper.
I used to grow peppers a lot, they hit production peak in the second or third year usually, and that's not happening here. Back when I did the Savina was king but I was growing fatali's because the unique taste. Anyway I can grow peppers fine here if 4 per plant is fine. But other people grow bells here, maybe they do something to manipulate the heat in the region of the plant. I'll look into that.

Leftynick

I bought some Carolina reaper seed and Trinidad scorpion last year. Still didn't plant them yet because I am afraid. I heard that Carolina reaper pepper can burn your finger is handled without glove, and my garden area are sometime playground for my landlord grandchild. I really want to try some once hottest pepper in the world. I love hot sauce. People can take a lot of heat from pepper here. My brother in law eat bird eye chilies whole with rice.

Brown Thumb

The Carolina reaper is nothing special for Heat.
Shoot me your address and I can shoot you some dust down of different types I have grown.
Im not responsible if you get some on your finger and put it where it Dont belong.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.