Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

PVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clackerbag

I was wondering if there was anyone who had any experience or knew an online resource for PVY resistant varieties of tobacco, especially bright leaf types?
I lost all my bright leaf this year (vesta 64) to a necrotising PVY so have ended up with a lot of burley and a much smaller amount of oriental types.
It would be very useful for growers in Northern Europe so if anyone has any firsthand experience please chime in
thanks
Clacker

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
TN 86 is a PVY-resistant burley, and is widely available.

The only PVY-resistant flue-cure variety that I can identify is NC 744 (ARS-GRIN PI 551313, TC 363) https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1446249 I have no idea where this seed might be sold.

Some studies indicate that varieties that are resistant to black root rot and black shank seem to be more susceptible to the necrotizing form of PVY, when compared to other varieties.

A Chinese study in 2014 identified 3 varieties with PVY resistance.
[quote="Wei Chen, et al. Evaluations of Tobacco Cultivars Resistance to Tobacco mosaic virus and Potato virus Y. Plant Pathology Journal, 13: 37-43. 2014.]...three cultivars (Liaoyan8, Jinxing6007 and Qinyan98) were resistant or moderate resistant to PVY.

http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ppj.2014.37.43&org=11
[/quote]
I don't know what class of tobacco the Chinese varieties are, nor how one might procure them.

That seems to be about it. Tough issue.

Bob

Clackerbag

Yep, sure is a pain in the ass....

my cigarettes are going to be 90% silver river which ,I suppose, isn't that much of an issue.
Surprisingly the orientals I grew seem to be the least affected.
Going to try the larger leaf orientals and some bright leaf from Ukraine like symbol 4 and spectrum which are described as being disease resistant next year.
Thanks
Clacker

ChinaVoodoo

Yep, sure is a pain in the ass....

my cigarettes are going to be 90% silver river which ,I suppose, isn't that much of an issue.
Surprisingly the orientals I grew seem to be the least affected.
Going to try the larger leaf orientals and some bright leaf from Ukraine like symbol 4 and spectrum which are described as being disease resistant next year.
Thanks
Clacker

Take a look at Ternopolski 7 instead of symbol 4. I enjoyed it much more.

OldDinosaurWesH

I have grown Ternopolskii 7 and 14. I liked the 7 best. #7 makes a good sweetener for an American style cigarette. #14 is a more strongly flavored rougher tasting tobacco than #7. Just my own opinion of course.

Wes H.

Last edited:

Charly

Clackerbag, I too have problems with PVY, for this reason, I tried about 30 strains to find some «resistant» ones.

Symbol 4 is the most resistant bright leaf strain that I tried so far. 401 Cherry Red showed some resistance, but less than Symbol 4.
I did not try Ternopolski yet, but if it is PVY resistant, I will certainly !

So far, I had luck with these :
- Nostrano del Brenta
- Bahia
- Adonis
- Xanthy
- Bolivian Criollo Black
- Semois
- Symbol 4

When my seeds will be dried, I can send you some if you want.

PVY really sucks...

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Status
Not open for further replies.