New kid on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnH

Hello all , I go by John , joined up to learn as much as I can
about rolling my own cigars , I have some Florida Sumatra
leaf on the the way , have rolled 5 or 6 cigars with different
tobacco but they always seemed to tight for a decent draw
or never burned correctly , lot to learn yet ...

greenmonster714

Welcome aboard. There are many cigar rollers here. I'm sure you'll find what you need. Before you know it you'll have a backyard tobacco garden..lol
Enjoy the site.

Charly

Welcome John,
You will, for sure, find enough informations here ;)
Have fun with cigar rolling !

JohnH

Welcome aboard. There are many cigar rollers here. I'm sure you'll find what you need. Before you know it you'll have a backyard tobacco garden..lol
Enjoy the site.

This last summer was my first attempt to grow some , it didn't turn out
to good , however I think I know were I went wrong and next summer I
expect to do much better

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

If your photo is of Florida Sumatra, then the cupping at the leaf tips suggests a nutritional deficiency (often calcium), which may or may not be due entirely to the pH of the soil, which can restrict nutrient uptake. I would suggest that you contact your local Ag extension service, and get details on how to take a soil sample and have it analyzed. The resulting info will guide you in deciding how to supplement the soil for next season.

Be sure to check out the FAQ for beginning growers: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/695-FAQ-for-Beginning-Growers
and the Index of Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum .

A first year of tobacco growing is always a steep learning curve. You will find that your second crop is much easier and of a better quality. Florida Sumatra, on its own, makes a decent wrapper or binder, but is rather bland as a filler.

Bob

JohnH

Welcome to the forum.

If your photo is of Florida Sumatra, then the cupping at the leaf tips suggests a nutritional deficiency (often calcium), which may or may not be due entirely to the pH of the soil, which can restrict nutrient uptake. I would suggest that you contact your local Ag extension service, and get details on how to take a soil sample and have it analyzed. The resulting info will guide you in deciding how to supplement the soil for next season.

Be sure to check out the FAQ for beginning growers: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/695-FAQ-for-Beginning-Growers
and the Index of Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum .

A first year of tobacco growing is always a steep learning curve. You will find that your second crop is much easier and of a better quality. Florida Sumatra, on its own, makes a decent wrapper or binder, but is rather bland as a filler.

Bob

Hi Bob , Thanks for the information , the tall plant was virginia gold and there were
two different strains ( cant remember what they were ) as well , Next year I plan on
virginia gold for cigarette ( for my OL ) and would like to try some florida sumatra
for cigar , but I don't know if it will grow in this area

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Hi and welcome to FTT JohnH!It will for sure be interesting to follow your next season (I hope to see much more from you).I think You have found a new second home on this forum..

BigBonner

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum Kris

Florida Sumatra is a good starting point for rolling a cigar . Give it a year and you will know what to add , how dry filler , binder , wrapper needs to be and rolling technique's .

Now in your picture your soil looks pretty moist . Too much water on tobacco is not good . I also see a water hose , if you are using from a bought water source then it will have a lot of chemicals in it that is not great for tobacco . Chlorine is one example .

JohnH

Welcome to the forum Kris

Florida Sumatra is a good starting point for rolling a cigar . Give it a year and you will know what to add , how dry filler , binder , wrapper needs to be and rolling technique's .

Now in your picture your soil looks pretty moist . Too much water on tobacco is not good . I also see a water hose , if you are using from a bought water source then it will have a lot of chemicals in it that is not great for tobacco . Chlorine is one example .

Yeah your correct about to much water , I didn't learn about that till it was
to late ..., We are on a well so I think the water is ok , plus the fact I didn't
prepare the ground like I should have , think I'll move this discussion over
to the How To Grow section and start a thread there , I have a few Ideas
and some pictures of my garden expansion for this next summer .

burge

Welcome I buy all my leaf. To be quite truthful for me I would be buying cigar tobacco. All because of the age factor. My brother smokes cigars from the cigar of the month club. All good cigars the leaf is aged. Min of three years before it is ready. I have some some of dons lemon that is going on its 4th year and man its good.

burge

Now is the time to take advantage of the sale. It only happens once a year

Status
Not open for further replies.