Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Looking for recommendations for my first pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Pipes and Cigars.com has starter pipe kits "build your own combo" for roughly $19.99 -basically a Casillero pipe,1 tobacco,pipe tool and pipe cleaners... in varied levels of cost - my suggestion for a novice is a straight stem and your choice of Captain Black,might I suggest the Royal .Then try Amphora original, When you're ready for more, try Lane Limited's 1-Q ...further ,a boost of flavor after dinner "dessert" pipe , Erik Nording Hunter series "Labrador" its a flavorful bowl of caramel and nougat , very warm,tasty and relaxing.

JohnH

Ok thanks , think I'll see what is at my local smoke shop and try
small amounts of what I can find for different types

ChinaVoodoo

There's also the used pipe direction.

I've picked up a lot of really nice pipes at antique shops. Ream out the old carbon inside the bowl, run whisky soaked pipe cleaners through until they come out clean, 800 to 1600 grit wet sandpaper or rouge on the stem until shiny. Almost like new, and depending on the brand, usually much better than a cheap new one.

ras_oscar

I smoke both pipes and cigars. Agree with the above. If you're new to the pipe and there's nobody nearby to help you learn technique, get a Missouri meerschaum corncob pipe. Don't buy any other brand corncob. They are crap and will burn a hole in the bottom after one or two bowls.Get a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert. They are both shipped at near perfect moistyure and are easy to smoke. When filling the pipe, don't pack too tightly. If the pipe is too loose you can tighten up with the tamper, If its too tight there is no option except to unpack and try again. Do a prelight draw before sparking to test the pack. It should be like sipping a milkshake through a straw. Like a cigar, you get the best flavor by keeping the pipe juuuuust barely lit. If you over puff you'll draw steam into your mouth and scorch your tongue and the roof of your mouth. Ask me how I know that. Get a tamper. I like the one that has an end shaped similar to a dowel cut off at a 45% angle. When tamping, I'm not packing the tobacco tighter. I'm easing the tobacco from the sides into a volcano shape in the center. That improves the airflow and for the first 2 thirds greatly reduces the need for relights. Like cigars, your taste in pipe tobacco will change as you progress. Buy one or 2 tins or pouches and finish them before buying more. Avoid aeromatics until you master technique. Aeromatics are often shipped very wet and can be a struggle even for the most experienced pipe smoker. Avoid plug ands flake until you master technique.

Smokin Harley

Ok thanks , think I'll see what is at my local smoke shop and try
small amounts of what I can find for different types

youre very welcome. I found a way to load a pipe using the "swirl in the palm of the hand" method works extremely well almost every time. Its very simply as it says. put a healthy pinch of pipe tobacco into the palm of one hand , invert the pipe bowl into the pile of tobacco with the other hand ,lightly push down into the pile while making small circles with the pipe bowl. The tobacco nearly loads itself with very little pressure and creates an evenly pressured bowl. Light tamping and minimal re-lights. As many times as I've tried to pack using the 1/3,1/3,1/3 / or "man woman and child" method. it almost never lights right .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs

ChinaVoodoo

IMG_20171212_133604535~2.jpg
My favorite tamper(s). They're kinda free, and I got dozens of them so I'll rarely have difficulty finding one. Just don't keep them in your carry-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.