Not open for further replies.

JohnH

I like to smoke the occasional cigar , and always wondered
about smoking a pipe , never have , is it like smoking a cigar
or ??? , so thought I'd give it a try , seeing how I have a variety
of leaf . what would be a good choice for a inexpensive pipe
to see if would like it ?

wooda2008

Missouri Meerschaum legend and a pouch of carter hall. That'll teach you the basics of smoking a pipe.

mwaller

Pipe and cigar are two quite different ways to enjoy tobacco. I liken the difference between cigars and pipe to the difference between coffee and tea. Cigars tend to be a bit more flavorful and strong; pipe tobaccos tend to be more smooth and subtle. There are of course exceptions.
But don't expect a pipe to give you a cigar-like experience, or vice versa.

JohnH

Pipe and cigar are two quite different ways to enjoy tobacco. I liken the difference between cigars and pipe to the difference between coffee and tea. Cigars tend to be a bit more flavorful and strong; pipe tobaccos tend to be more smooth and subtle. There are of course exceptions.
But don't expect a pipe to give you a cigar-like experience, or vice versa.

Kinda sounds like what I'm after, looking for a very mild/ mellow smoke , do pipe smokers
inhale or just " puff " ? , not after any goofy flavors just a easy mellow smoke

davek14

I'm an ex cigar smoker. Now I smoke whole cigar leaf in a pipe and it resembles a cigar more than any pipe tobacco I've tried, even "cigar tobacco" blends. It's still not "like a cigar", but I like it.

greenmonster714

I'm an ex cigar smoker. Now I smoke whole cigar leaf in a pipe and it resembles a cigar more than any pipe tobacco I've tried, even "cigar tobacco" blends. It's still not "like a cigar", but I like it.

I like it too. When I used to smoke cigars I'd always have my pipe handy to smoke it all. Always seemed to have a little bit of a bite but I like tobacco with a bite anyway.

greenmonster714

eBay has a ton of new and used pipes. I always find great deals. Just be aware of the cheap ones from China. I usually do a search of estate or briar pipes from US auctions only. The highest I've paid for a pipe is less than $15.

greenmonster714

Kinda sounds like what I'm after, looking for a very mild/ mellow smoke , do pipe smokers
inhale or just " puff " ? , not after any goofy flavors just a easy mellow smoke

A pipe tobacco that is super cheap but delivers great quality is a brand called Super Value. You'll find the brand in must online stores. I usually ordered it from pipesandcigars.com. An excellent blend is the chocolate but don't be mislead by the label. It tastes nothing like chocolate to me but it is a very smooth blend. Another is the Buttered Rum. You can also buy it by the pouch for a little over $3 a pouch.

ChinaVoodoo

In the U.S., the dollar figure is different, but here, you can go of the principle that often isn't true, but price does make an impact with briar pipes. $0-40, don't waste your money. $40-80, not bad starter pipe, $100-$200, excellent improvement in quality, $200+, don't waste your money. Regardless of brand, this tends to hold true.

mwaller

Pipe smoke is not meant to be inhaled, but I'm sure some people do it. Just puff it.

davek14

A *good* briar cannot be beat, but they vary and can be a just a little finicky. Also briar is a bit pricy. A corn cob after a few bowls will give a good smoke consistently without a lot of care and fuss,and they cost 4$-15$ for a basic cob.

There is no comparison in cost/benefit ratio, and they are the best beginner pipe. Good pipe to see if you like the pipe.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
All good advice!
99% of my pipe smoking is in a MM cob. I have a dozen briars and about half a dozen real nice meers but nothing beats an MM cob. I'm partial to the Mark Twain. It has a stem for a filter so I throw that away and replace it with an ebonite stem or a Danish bit (from MM).

Beware.. learning to smoke a pipe takes some time. A cigar.. anyone can light up a stogie and enjoy a smoke, but a pipe needs to be packed correctly, lit, tamped and then smoked. Slightly exhaling through your nose will really bring out the flavors.

Good luck on your new adventure.

Charly

It has already been said, but I agree : Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs are great and cheap, it's the best you can find to begin pipe smoking !

JohnH

Thanks everybody lots of good info , so I'll get a M M corncob and give it a go
what makes a corncob the best choice ? the design or the material , are they
made from a real corn cob ?

Charly

Corn cobs are the best choice for these reasons : cost, taste, ease of use, no need to build a cake.

Corn cobs may not be the best pipes in the world, but they are great for discovering pipe smoking ;)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.