Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is there any way to mellow out shredded tobacco ?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Have switched to whole leaf , having problems with tongue bite
    to the point of numbness , currently trying disposable "tar block "
    plastic filters which is helping quite a bit , but not completely .
    What types of tobacco are you using and what ratios? Tongue bite is usually from Bright Leaf (aka Virginia)

[QUOTE=JohnH;141833]My wife used to smoke Misty light 100s , 7 to 10 sticks per day , and about 4
    months ago we decided to go with stuffing our own , using TGS natural tobacco
    / gambler 100 light tubes / premier light 100s tubes , and after about a week
    the smoke started biting her tongue and has gotten progressively worse to the
    point of numbness after the second puff , also have tried Virgina Orange whole
    leaf shredded to the same as the TGS and still the same result . Any ideas how

That is easy. To mellow tobacco you need to soak it. let it dry and soak it again. I am assuming your using bigs orangey yellow I am Canadian and found it really strong. that mellows it out. Jist be careful not to overly soak it as you lose the nicotine and flavor. Try zen blue tubes they are super light. Tired some here and could barely get a drag compared to export A green. If the leaf is not destemmed just quickly fill the vapour proof bag with water and empty it right away. It does not change the tobacco color. hang the leaves to dry. You can do that twice and then shred that will work as well.
    to mellow out the tobacco.

Founding Member

WRONG !
    "That is easy. To mellow tobacco you need to soak it. let it dry and soak it again."

Nicotine & flavor are highly soluable, you'll pour it out with the water, and very high risk of mold if the tobacco is too wet.
    Yes, it's mild, because there is nothing left worth smoking.

1 members have Nominated this post.

Boiling, and I assume soaking will mellow out the tobacco I guess. With boiling it gives a kind of "different" taste. It's something I could see doing if you really wanted something to smoke badly enough, but not a real permanent solution for sure.

I don't know if this would apply to cigarette tobacco, but stoveing will reduce tongue bite in pipe tobacco. It works well with burley, and I think Virginia as well.

It will give the tobacco a kind of an "earthy" taste. It will greatly reduce the complexity of the flavors as well. The final product will kind of go toward a "median" flavor which is often about the same no matter what you started with. It's a good flavor (to me), but I will only do it if tongue bite is a problem as there are better flavors to be had. The temps used will also kill enzymes which age the tobacco and stop aging.

Anymore, I will try it with a small amount first to see if it is a "win" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by davek14 View Post

It will give the tobacco a kind of an "earthy" taste.

a taste as the Germain's brown flake ? i like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12