Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Red Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pmiller

Does anyone know anything about Red Russian? I have some seed coming, I thought I'd plant some. It is a pretty looking plant, so I might put some in my wife's flower beds.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
I do not know anything about it myself but when I placed my last vegetable seed order (which I got some tobacco seeds as well...) I took a look at that variety. Almost got it- let us know how it is!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I keep meaning to grow this, would be interested to see you grow some

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This is from the FTT seed collection page. I did a little research on it because of its obscurity. Not sure where the new name came from.

Red Russian TC 588
PDF There's a long story behind this one. Basically, it's the oldest N.tabacum variety I can find in the data base. The name has changed and there is no information on it. Through a little bit of research, I've found it is a naturally occurring variety in South America, though Central America and into Mexico. Could very well be one of the original N.Tabacum varieties. It's former name was Macrophylla Purpurea. It has been the used in many experiments in crossing, but it is acknowledged as a true N. Tabacum and not a N. Rustica

Pmiller

That's where I got them from. I just wondered why it was under misc. tobacco, as they have everything classified by use. I'll just see what comes of it. Is there any way to test nicotine content, or is that something a lab would do?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Kind of hard to follow, but this is one of the original accounts of macrophylla purpurea from 1912.
Nicotiana Tabacum var. macrophylla purpurea U. C. B. G. 06 was received from the Missouri Botanical Garden in 1906 under the name of Xicotiana sanguinea. It is 1912] Setchell: Studies in Nicotiana 11 one of the plants usually known in gardens under that name. It is tall, six feet high or over, with large deep-red flowers, of the same shape as, though with rather deeper color than, 22 those of .Y. Tahacum var. macrophylla (ef. U. C. B. G. 07). N. sangninea is designated by Comes (1899, p. 20) as "N. Tah- acum var. macrophylla purpurea,' ' but it is to be noted that he expressly states that his .Y. Tahacum var. macrophylla pur- purea includes both .Y. sanguinea and N. purpurea of the gar- dens, but only partially as to each. These two garden tobaccos vary in height, robustness, and color of flower. Even the shape of the flower varies among the different plants referred here. The leaves are ample, with f&irly long, broad-winged petiole, broadly ovate blade, which is more or less cucuUate at the tip. There are combined in this plant characters of our .Y. angusti- folia (U. C. B. G. 07) as to petiole, .Y. Tahacum var. hrasiliensis (our Brazilian, U. C. B. G. Oo) as to cucullate tip, tallness, and perhaps also the wing on the petiole, and N. Tahacum var. macro- 22 phylla (cf. U. C. B. G. 07) as to flowers. I have produced plants similar to this, but lacking tallness and the cucullate tip to the blade of the leaf, in F, from crosses between U. C. B. G. 07 and 07. X. sanguinea, at least so far as U. C. B. G. 06 is concerned, is a poor and uncertain seeder. This leads one to suspect a pos- sible hybrid origin. It has bred true in the U. C. B. G., how- ever, for several years. This tobacco is grown, chiefly at any rate, as an ornamental plant. U. C. B. G. 06 is well represented in plate 8. The two garden species, known as .Y. sanguinea and N. purpurea vary in height and robustness but those with the darker flowers are called N. purpurea while those with the lighter flowers are called .Y. sanguinea.

This is reference to the name change...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]METHODS AND RESULTS

T h e species involved

Xicotiana tabacum L. (n = 24) is placed in subgenus Tabacum, section Genuinae
(GOODSPEED
1954). The plants used in the present study are commercial types desig-
nated by growers Red Russian tobacco (formerly var. Purpurea). X. plumbaginijolia
(n = 10) is referred by GOODSPEED subgenus Petunioides, section Alatae which
to
includes one other 10-paired species, four 9-paired and one with n = 12. N . tabacum
is known only as a cultivated species. On the other hand, N . plumbaginijolia is found
in the wild, mainly in South America, Central America and Mexico.
[/FONT]

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if Red Russian is good for cigars, but apparently cigars are good for Red Russian:

a14-small.jpg

Bob

Pmiller

Thanks to everyone for all the info, and humor! I'm going to start some of this this weekend. I'll keep all posted with pictures and such. Maybe I'll try my hand at making a cross with this and something else.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I tried to organize the text and photo together. There's no information about this variety but this over 100 years old text and photo. I hope this helps a little.

The given number for N. tabacum var. macrophylla purpurea is UCGB 22/06. UCGB is probably the abbreviation of "University of California Botanical Garden".

Nicotiana tabacum var. macrophylla purpurea

UCGB 22/06 was received from the Missouri Botanical Garden in 1906 under the name of Nicotiana sanguinea. It is one of the plants usually known in gardens under that name. It is tall, six feet high or over, with large deep-red flowers, of the same shape as, though with rather deeper color than, those of N. Tabacum var. macrophylla (UCGB 68/07).

N. sanguinea is designated by Comes (1899, p. 20) as "N. Tabacum var. macrophylla purpurea," but it is to be noted that he expressly states that his N. Tabacum var. macrophylla purpurea includes both N. sanguinea and N. purpurea of the gardens, but only partially as to each. These two garden tobaccos vary in height, robustness, and color of flower. Even the shape of the flower varies among the different plants referred here.

The leaves are ample, with fairly long, broad-winged petiole, broadly ovate blade, which is more or less cucullate at the tip. There are combined in this plant characters of our N. angustifolia (UCGB 68/07) as to petiole, N. Tabacum var. brasiliensis (our Brazilian, UCGB 71/05) as to cucullate tip, tallness, and perhaps also the wing on the petiole, and N. Tabacum var. macrophylla (UCGB 22/07) as to flowers.

I have produced plants similar to this, but lacking tallness and the cucullate tip to the blade of the leaf, in F2 from crosses between UCGB 68/07 and 22/07. N. sanguinea, at least so far as UCGB 25/06 is concerned, is a poor and uncertain seeder. This leads one to suspect a possible hybrid origin.

It has bred true in the UCGB 25/06, however, for several years. This tobacco is grown, chiefly at any rate, as an ornamental plant.

UCGB 25/06 is well represented in plate 8.

The two garden species, known as N. sanguinea and N. purpurea vary in height and robustness but those with the darker flowers are called N. purpurea while those with the lighter flowers are called N. sanguinea.

Plate 8 :

Red r.jpg

Source : https://archive.org/details/studiesinnicotia00setc

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Was the Mo botanical garden associated with Henry Shaw of 1859. Shaw gardens of Tower Grove, St. Lewis Mo? He was one of the five best botonist of that era. Tobacco was one of His faves. as well.

DonH

I don't know of any way to test for nicotine content without doing lab work...other than the obvious...smoke some.
I've developed a scientific system for testing nicotine content. Smoke a cigarette. When finished, if you feel like lighting up another, it's low in nicotine. If you don't, it's just right. If you feel a little queasy or dizzy it's very high in nicotine. If you feel like taking a dump, it's high.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Ah... the failings of Academia! What is low for you might be high for others. You and I might smoke the exact same cigarette, you might get nothing out of it and I might be vomiting in the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.