Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Essential step to make snus hold together - kneading

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekul

I was recently talking to this swedish bloke who explained to me that snus HAS to be kneaded after all the cooking, otherwise it won't hold together very well.

If you get one of those machines that is used for kneading dough and stick your snus in there for a few hours it drastically improves the texture and "bake-ability". If it is kneaded for long enough it will be like clay like general extra stark.

The machine I bought cost me $60. Its a benchtop mixer with dough kneading attachment. My snus held together "ok" after i cooked it but after I kneaded it for 8 hours it is like a commercial snus in terms of texture.

Anyway, i haven't really seen kneading in any of the guides so I thought I would add this little tidbit of info.

burge

I do not do snuff. However when shredding tobacco for a blend and its super moist I knead my tobacco. It helps in melding the flavor.

squeezyjohn

Hmmm ... fascinating ... I've never had that much problem with my home made snus not baking properly unless it's a long cut type, but I've never kneaded it. What I have heard is that to make a snus that holds together well you need to have at least 30% of your tobacco flour in what they call "dust fraction" in the industry - ground up very finely (measured in µm, not mm) - this is hard to achieve in a uniform way grinding your own at home.

ekul

Hey squeezy, I've only made one batch so far so take this with a grain of salt. The batch I made held together ok, I could bake a pris without issue. However after sticking the snus into the dough machine for a few hours it was so much better. It developed that "clayish" quality that commercial snus has.

The guy that told me to do it was from a swedish snusmakers fb group (google translate is a beautiful thing). He told me that's how the commercial boys do it. I've never seen it mentioned in english snus guides but apparently all the swedes do it.

You can't use an egg beater, it has to be one of those dough mixing attachments.

Give it a go and see how it is, i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I thought I didn't have any issues but now I'm curious how this step will improve things, I wonder if the thrift store has an old bread machine I can try it with.

Status
Not open for further replies.