Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Looking for information on how to make snus with pressure cooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightmarehour

I've read one person used this method and it greatly decreased the time it takes to make snus. Does anyone have the information on temperature and length of time it takes?

ChinaVoodoo

I've read one person used this method and it greatly decreased the time it takes to make snus. Does anyone have the information on temperature and length of time it takes?

Hi Nightmarehour. Welcome to the forum. Feel free to introduce yourself in the "introduce yourself" section of the forum.

I believe you are right that someone here has done that for making snus. I have not. If you don't fill anything into the search bar and hit the search button, you'll be taken to a page where you can make a more complex search. Maybe you'll find that post that way. I've made Cavendish for smoking in the pressure cooker. I go approximately equal parts of tobacco and water at 15 lbs pressure for 3 to 4 hours. If you can't find the post or if nobody else pipes up, I might try that. I understand snus makers usually add an alkaline substance of some kind. I once added a quarter teaspoon of baking soda to a 50 jar of tobacco when making Cavendish because the maillard reaction works faster in alkaline chemistry and I wanted to see what would happen. I cooked it for 5 hours and it came out totally black and it didn't burn. It was much darker than the non baking soda jar of the same variety so I concluded that adding alkaline to it did indeed speed the reaction, so if you're adding carbonate or whatever it is you snussers add, I might shorten the cooking time to two or three hours. But that's just a guess 'cause I don't chew or sniff.

Nightmarehour

Hello and thanks for the welcome. How would it work on theory? Mix the flour salt water and carbonate then put into a canning jar with lid tightned?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
That's how I do mine. I make dip which is essentially the same thing as snus but instead of a powder I use a fine shred. I add my salt/water solution to the tobacco, pack it into a mason jar, place it in a crock pot, fill with water and cook for 8 hours at 85C. I then take it out, add vegetable glycerin, sweetener and flavoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.