Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How Oliver Twist is Made, Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charly

Thanks for sharing this !
It's the first time that I see so small ropes :)
It's giving me ideas !

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a funny Tinderbox article. It's overuse of adjectives attempts to turn an industrial process into a treat that Mom is making for you in the kitchen.

"Carefully scrutinized full tobacco leaves are gently hand-chosen..."

Interesting info, though.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

That's a funny Tinderbox article. It's overuse of adjectives attempts to turn an industrial process into a treat that Mom is making for you in the kitchen.

"Carefully scrutinized full tobacco leaves are gently hand-chosen..."

Interesting info, though.

Bob

The initial Charles Dickens reference makes you wonder if it is written by an English undergrad, but the following line, "Oliver Twist humbly resides and works in the charming, fairy tale city of Odense, Denmark too!" ends with an apostrophe, lending credibility to the theory that the writer is in fact this guy:

enthusiastic_writer-290x192.jpg

squeezyjohn

My dad used to chew Oliver Twist. They have a cool video on how it's made. I like the rope technique. They start by crushing the mid rib, then use a pad on their fingers...I can't explain. Just watch.

https://www.oliver-twist.dk/us/

As someone who makes twist chew a lot - this is very valuable - thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure that machine is for crushing the mid-rib as much as it's for flattening out the leaves ... as you can see from the video at 40-43s the leaf they are adding to the twist is in halves with the mid-rib cut out.

A key thing to take away is just how high a case these leaves are in when they are being twisted - presumably with the prepared casing liquid containing the sweet liquorice taste all the oliver twists have. Putting the leaf under shear forces like this does, it can easily tear if the case is too high, and if the tobacco is in too low a case it risks becoming brittle and making the rope raggedy.

ChinaVoodoo

As someone who makes twist chew a lot - this is very valuable - thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure that machine is for crushing the mid-rib as much as it's for flattening out the leaves ... as you can see from the video at 40-43s the leaf they are adding to the twist is in halves with the mid-rib cut out.

A key thing to take away is just how high a case these leaves are in when they are being twisted - presumably with the prepared casing liquid containing the sweet liquorice taste all the oliver twists have. Putting the leaf under shear forces like this does, it can easily tear if the case is too high, and if the tobacco is in too low a case it risks becoming brittle and making the rope raggedy.

I also noticed something you might find interesting. If you go to the German website, under the products category, the ingredients are listed.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Good point. I have seen videos of a rolling machine with a similar appearance in a cigar factory, that accepts a manually-fed, flattened leaf, in order to automatically strip away the stem. (It was posted somewhere on this forum about 5 years ago.) In this Oliver Twist video, I don't get a proper view to determine if that's what it's doing.

Bob

MarcL

That machine is for removing the mid-rib and, the flattening of the leaves comes with the vacuum drawn on both left and right cylinders which are separated at the center to allow the mid-ribs to gather separately from the veined laminae.

Status
Not open for further replies.