Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is this mold??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedbs999

I have several leaves from the first priming of Little Dutch. Iam posting 3 pictures of some of the leaves in hope that I can find out if the leaves have mold or something else. I assume it's mold, but if not mold, can I kiln this or should I throw away?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

IMG_0727.jpgIMG_0728.jpgIMG_0729.jpg

Dan

MarcL

Charly

Same for me, I think it is not mold, it seems to be (hard to be sure with the pictures) some green spots fixed in the leaves (chlorophyl) while drying.
I did not try to kiln leaves with green spots yet, so I don't know for sure if it will go away.
The only thing I can tell you is that each time I smoked leaves with green spots, it wasn't as good as all brown leaves.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The first leaf appears to be Aspergillus niger mold. I would toss it. The other two are probably worth kilning.

Have a look at that first leaf with your best magnifying glass.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
MoldyLeaf1.JPG

The first leaf appears to be Aspergillus niger mold. I would toss it. The other two are probably worth kilning.

Have a look at that first leaf with your best magnifying glass.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

I have seen this phenomenon on my own leaf before. I trim it out if it is isolated on one portion of the leaf. If the leaf looks like that first photo, I toss it. When it comes to fungus, my philosophy has always been better safe than sorry.

Wes H.

Charly

I won't be as categorical as Bob, the first picture is too blurry to know for sure.
But I agree, the safe approach is : if you are not sure, throw it away.

Thedbs999

I want to thank everyone who responded. The leaf in the first picture was the worse. I have thrown it away with several others that were not as bad.

It's really kind of disappointing. I have no idea what i could have done differently when color curing. But it is what it is. I have a lot of good leaves, so pitching a few does not both me.

Iam looking forward to next Saturday when the first kiln run with Criollo, and Florida Sumatra comes out of the kiln. I have ordered and received some of the vapor proof bags from Don at Whole Leaf Tobacco. Should the freshly kilned leaves go directly into the bags or should they be left out in the open air for awhile?? Thanks

Dan

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Adjust the case of the leaves to low case. That would be pliable, but not at all damp. If they are too dry, add some water to the kiln, and wait a bit, before removing them. If they are too moist, hang them for a while to dry down. If they are just a slight bit too moist, you can put them in the vapor-proof bags, but leave the end open, checking them every day.

Bob

ArizonaDave

Adjust the case of the leaves to low case. That would be pliable, but not at all damp. If they are too dry, add some water to the kiln, and wait a bit, before removing them. If they are too moist, hang them for a while to dry down. If they are just a slight bit too moist, you can put them in the vapor-proof bags, but leave the end open, checking them every day.

Bob
Great advice again Bob. I store all leaves now in low case. Though this was a costly mistake in the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.