Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Containerless" Pressing of Pipe Tobacco

Smokin Harley

Ive got a quart mason jar mostly full of my cavendished Madole from 2015, it has a dry chocolatey aroma . With that I added the conglomeration of various mixed (Va,Perique,etc)shred flake and ribbon , also the small container of what was supposed to be a peaches and cream flavored cav. I added Honey Jack and rolled it around ,respraying and rolling. I let it sit overnight , might try doing a press kake in a baggie as you did with it and rest it a while . See what comes of it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The flake looks like it'll hold together. One more processing method in the repertoire.
The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
For promis’d joy!

Garden20180103_3343_bucketPress_flakeSeparates_600.jpg

Just the act of evaporation was sufficient to cause virtually all of the flake to delaminate. So, if you want to end up with flake when it's done in the press, the process will require some adhering agent, such as a sugar syrup.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
For promis’d joy!

Garden20180103_3343_bucketPress_flakeSeparates_600.jpg

Just the act of evaporation was sufficient to cause virtually all of the flake to delaminate. So, if you want to end up with flake when it's done in the press, the process will require some adhering agent, such as a sugar syrup.

Bob
I was talking informally with a chemical engineer yesterday. He seemed to agree that there might be something to the idea that plug sticks together because the starches are altered and either become partially gelatinous or colloidal.
I wonder if a little bit of heat, up to kiln temperatures, given the one month you let it sit would be just enough energy to thus alter the starches. Two birds with one stone.???

mwaller

How does it smoke?
Aside from the initial appearance of an intact flake, I'm not sure they offer much of an advantage over ribbon cut tobacco. I find flakes take a lot more effort to back and light. I'm not sure why they are so popular with 'experienced' pipe smokers.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure why they are so popular with 'experienced' pipe smokers.
A good flake burns well. Flake (as well as the coin of sliced roll-cake) is typically packed into a pipe by simply breaking it in half, and crunching it down into the bowl. If it is rubbed out, it burns hotter, and alters the intended flavor and aroma.

I'll let you know how it smokes next week. The aroma is lovely and fruity, and definitely not what you might expect from ribbon-cut of the same tobacco that has not been pressed.

Bob

Smokin Harley

I went ahead and pressed my smorgasbord kake in a ziplock , between 2 pieces of wood , in a shop vise. Left it for an hour then went back and folded the kake and repressed. I'll check it later. The aroma though was very sweet and fruity . I may actually end up with something here.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bucket Press Tasting

After pressing for a month, drying, then allowing it to rest for 5 days in low case, I've now smoked a few bowls of this interesting blend. The blend itself (without the casing and pressing) would likely make a reasonable cigarette tobacco. With the casing and pressing, it has been transformed into an enjoyable pipe tobacco. The acidity of the blend has certainly declined.

How it began:

Garden20171206_3296_bucketPress_casedLeaves_600.jpg

From a standpoint of proportions, this is
  • VA Lemon: 2/5
  • Red VA: 1/5
  • Samsun: 1/5
  • Basma: 1/5
  • Burley Red Tips: just a smidgen (1/40)
That is a blend of 3/5 Flue-cured and 2/5 Oriental. I would expect such a blend to taste and smoke like cigarette tobacco. But the Seagram's VO casing, together with a month of ~3.5 psi pressing seems to have resulted in something very different. It is not as acidic as the proportion of flue-cured would lead one to expect. And the aroma is new. It definitely does not smell like Seagram's VO whiskey--or any whiskey.

I will call it VO Pressed Virginia/Oriental.

Garden20180108_3353_bucketPress_packedInPipe_600.jpg

• pouch aroma: rich grape and prune.
  • packing: like fine, dry straw, but packs well, with an open draw. Although it feels dry and brittle, it does not break or crumble when packing.
  • light: instant.
  • burn: excellent. No relights.
  • smoke: not very dense.
  • aroma: unsweetened gingerbread that has been lightly toasted. Hint of dried white raisin.
  • taste: no significant tongue bite. subtle corriander seed.
  • nasal: lightly peppery.
  • ash: fine white.
  • pipe: bottom clean and dry. Zero dottle.
  • nicotine: mild-to-medium.
My conclusion is that this method of rendering a Virginia/Oriental blend into a lovely pipe tobacco is a success. Although I expected a flake, the separated, stiff shred packs and smokes beautifully.

I believe the duration of the pressing (1 month) is significant in transforming the blend. The duration was sufficient to alter the pH. The truly modest pressure used (~3.5 psi) can be achieved with items on hand, and a freezer Ziploc bag is adequate as a container--one that can be easily pressed between two wood planks. The only purpose to my limiting the press block surface area to 2" x 6" was so that a filled 5 gallon bucket would generate my target of 3.5 psi (which was an arbitrary target). The process may work just as well with a 4" x 5" block, and half the psi. But I can't say for certain, without trying that.

I am not a fan of sticky, sweetened pipe tobacco, so I am pleased that the Seagram's VO Canadian Whiskey (diluted 50:50 with water) results in a delightful aroma and a dry tobacco that does not taste like whiskey.

Bob

Charly

Congratulations for your winning experiment !
I will definitly try again to make some plugs and kakes this year, but I have to wait for my tobacco to age a little.
Thanks for sharing your method.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video. I might try to create the roll around a bullseye core--if I do another thin press. In the video, it is actually a press cake, rather than a sheet plug. It just seems like a lot of work to create an appearance, although it might be fun.

Bob